Philips Wiz (not Hue) Bulbs: how can we advocate for an API

I’m about to buy 50 of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-Color-and-Tunable-White-5-6-in-LED-65W-Equivalent-Dimmable-Smart-Wi-Fi-Wiz-Connected-Recessed-Downlight-Kit-555623/310289033

Are these bulbs supported by this integration?

Sounds like one option would be to set up your resolver to provide an alternative resolution of mitt.wiz.world and set up your own MQTT server on port 8883 there.

Ugly and hackish, but one way to protect your privacy from this act of surveillance capitalism.

It’s also notable (and unfortunate) that MQTT.wiz.world has no AAAA record in DNS. :frowning:

I think myself that it’s actually using two kinds of white LEDs… unlike the whites version, which claims whites from 2700K to 6500K, the colors version claims it goes from 2200K to 6500K, but I’ve noticed that below 2700K, it gives a whole different impression, and it actually feels like the orange LEDs are on, while if I change between 2700K and 6500K, at 2700K for instance the white quality seems similar to other non-smart 2700K lights I have.

I suspect that it’s using one kind of White LED mixed in with RGB LEDs or that it’s using one kind of RGBW LED. It’s very unlikely that there are two kinds of White LEDs and RGB LEDs in there together.

Most likely, the White LEDs (or the W in the RGBW LEDs) is a “Daylight White” color somewhere around 5800-6000K and the Cooler whites are obtained by adding Blue from the RGB while warmer whites are obtained by adding Red and Green (effectively yellow to orange, depending on the RG blend). In order for the color to not be overwhelmed by the White LED and achieve the appropriate temperature, the W LED(s) would need to be reduced in brightness to a level that provides good blending with the RGB LEDs to obtain the desired color temperature in the overall output.

In all likelihood, if you scanned the entire temperature range until you found maximum brightness, you’d be at the native temperature of the W LED(s).

Hey. I am using this integration GitHub - sbidy/wiz_light: A WiZ Light integration for Home Assistant and add bulbs through the UI. Problem is - there are no controls for the led color. Is there a way to manually set the bulb type to make it work or what is the trick?

the bulb is ESP01_SHRGB1C_31

Turn on the light to make it work.

2 Likes

Did you end up buying these bulbs? I’m also considering them.

I have those and they work well with this integration.

Good to know! I’ve been waiting to see if it got picked up in core and it looks like it will be soon. Mind if I pick your brain for a second?

• Are they responsive - meaning they come on/turn off immediately, all the time?
  • Any issues with them going offline? (I do have strong WIFI throughout house)
  • Do they turn on/off in sync or do some respond before others when switching or dimming multiple lights? Most of my recessed lighting is in groups/banks and it’s really irritating when they don’t all turn on or dim together (currently experimenting with zwave rgb bulbs - it’s not going well).
  • Are the colors consistent between bulbs? (another issue with my zwave test bulbs)
  • Do they dim smoothly? Any flickering? How low do they dim?
  • Do they support transition times?
  • Any chance you’re using them with Red Series Inovelli dimmers?

I did NOT end up getting 50 of the cans, but I did get 3 surface mount Wiz lights.

I agree that the integration works well. My major complaint is that the integration is PER BULB/LIGHT. So, i have 3, and i have 3 different parts in my Wiz integration, and they’re linked to the IP, so you better set up DHCP reservations :slight_smile:

As for your questions…

• Are they responsive - meaning they come on/turn off immediately, all the time?
    YES.
  • Any issues with them going offline? (I do have strong WIFI throughout house)
    NO. IF you have good 2GHz. They ONLY use 2GHz.
  • Do they turn on/off in sync or do some respond before others when switching or dimming multiple lights? Most of my recessed lighting is in groups/banks and it’s really irritating when they don’t all turn on or dim together (currently experimenting with zwave rgb bulbs - it’s not going well).
    YES.
  • Are the colors consistent between bulbs? (another issue with my zwave test bulbs)
    YES
  • Do they dim smoothly? Any flickering? How low do they dim?
    YES. VERY dim.
  • Do they support transition times?
    Don’t know.
  • Any chance you’re using them with Red Series Inovelli dimmers?
    NO.

@jazzyisj , I agree with @rlyons20

Yep… I re-IP’d my home network after getting the bulbs, because I ran out of IPs. It was an opportunity to move all the home automation / IoT stuff off to a separate walled-off VLAN at the same time.

I’m not sure why you’d want to use these bulbs together with a dimmer, or any other automated switching, since the bulbs themselves handle that.

@rlyons20 Thank you very much for your feedback!

@kodbuse - I’m not sure I follow. Do you just use the app to control them? That’s a nonstarter for me. Most of my lighting is fairly automated but it is a requirement that everything still work like normal dumb stuff.

I already have Inovelli dimmers that currently control about 50 recessed cans in various rooms. Right now I just have CREE bulbs in the cans. They work fine for the most part but the goal is to replace them with tunable color bulbs to use with flux lighting. I have that set up in a couple of rooms with some zwave bulbs and we really like it, but the bulbs themselves are a bit problematic.

With further reading I see that dimmers are not recommended with the Wiz bulbs, and they are also surface mount not retrofit so I think it’s going to be back to the drawing board on this one.

If anyone can recommend some retrofit 5/6" LED recessed RGB bulbs that I won’t have to remortgage my house for I’m all ears!!

Thanks for your input!

Yes, I control them with an HA Lovelace dashboard and Amazon Echo / Alexa. They are also on regular physical non-dimming switches that can be toggled to turn them on even if they’re powered but “turned off”. I guess ideally you’d have a switch/dimmer device that talks to HA instead of physically manipulating the power to the bulbs.

I’m not sure what you mean about not being retrofit. I put them into the cans of my old incandescent recessed lights. If you don’t want the flush mount look, you can buy just the BR30 bulb version and put into the old socket.

IMO, maybe buy just one and see how you like it.

The Inovelli switches can actually do this. They have a smart bulb mode that disables the power relay.
Retrofit = install into can with E26 socket adapter vs direct wire no can surface mount.
(I got these mixed up with another one I was looking at that was not retrofit.)

Maybe I will grab a couple and check them out. Thanks again.

All smart switch’s can do this if you configure everything.

My only gripe with these lights is that they only have 10 dimming steps.

Having a smart wall switch that has the option to keep the downstream sockets and/or plugs powered on constantly while only sending a report of on/off or dimming state change is a rare bird in fact. As @jazzyisj says, the Inovelli wall switch says it can do this. It would be great if more vendors offered this option on their products. Very handy in old wiring with no neutral. The inovelli has an air gap as well, another feature that is missing on too many wall switches. Inovelli seem like a company that puts some good thought into their products. Too bad they only play in the z-wave space, and worse their products are backordered until the end of time due to chip shortage…

They are branching out into zigbee!

1 Like

Thanks for that info! Wow that’s quite a product, you think it might have an ‘air fryer’ built in as well! :grinning:

’ * Estimated Completion Date: March 28, 2022"
:crossed_fingers:

After the last HA update, I removed Wiz from HACS and added official Wiz integration. Since then, I have had a warning in the HA log. How to remove it?

Logger: homeassistant.components.number.reproduce_state
Source: components/number/reproduce_state.py:26
Integration: Číslo (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 12:43:48 (30 occurrences)
Last logged: 13:08:49

Unable to find entity number.wiz_rgbww_tunable_0539dc_effect_speed
Unable to find entity number.wiz_rgbww_tunable_053a56_effect_speed
Unable to find entity number.wiz_rgbww_tunable_0568fd_effect_speed

Solved. I deleted the original scene light Wiz and recreated it

Did you retain all of your previously set-up WiZ lights? I have 31 WiZ lights and am not eager to set them up again with the new official integration.