Physical Buttons for Home Assistant

Isn’t it possible to use amazon dash buttons to do something similar too ? And it only costs 5€/pc

Yes, amazon dash would work but:

• It has some latency as it needs to wake up.
  • The battery is non-replaceable is built to sustain a few hundred clicks.

tanks, I did not know that. Just bought one yesterday to try it on some simple stuff…

I’ve got both xiaomi and dash buttons using dasher.
The dash buttons are a fun hack but the 5-10 sec lag is pretty annoying. Also a small % of the presses don’t get caught by dasher.
Even though the xiaomi are more expensive I still rate over the dash hack

which xiaomi button are you talking about ? Has it replacable batteries or can you recharge it ? Does it works with wi-fi ?

1 Like

Zigbee (requires hub) not wifi.
Requires coin battery.
http://www.gearbest.com/smart-light-bulb/pp_257679.html

See this thread for (a lot) more info:

Is it possible to use them with any other ZigBee bridge? The one from Xiaomi seems to have quit some overhead to be setup and is still in beta.

Potentially yes. Some French guy has managed to do it and published details. I think some smartthings users have it working.
Practically at the moment no. E.g. No support from ha native zigbee, hue etc
This lack of interoperability is typical of zigbee in general- it’s very frustrating!

I should add also that the “beta” label is really only there now because the originator is unwilling or unable to make a pull request on HA to move support into ha main.
The add on is considered to be good to go. It’s very stable. You’ll see loads of comments to this effect in that thread

I’ve just read is article, pretty impressive reverse engineering he achieved!
So according to that article it should be possible to support xiaomi devices with a bridge compatible with Zigbee ZHA since Xiaomi used the default encryption key. But that would still need time until it’s ported to HA in any manner.
He is also preparing a Kickstarter for a bridge supporting Xiaomi device, Philips Hue and other zigbee device. He plan a price around 40€ and his device would output the data through serial out.

Original article (in french):

1 Like

His blog is a fascinating read (even for me via google translate).
I didn’t see his kickstarter, so thanks for the info.

It would be just great to have an open zigbee hub/gateway, but I think it will be a big effort to maintain.
All the ZLL and ZHA manufacturers seem hell-bent on non and partial standards support.
Just look at Hue and Ikea lighting… grrrr

In this article he says he’s preparing a Kickstarter campaign:

But honestly without already having his custom pcb tested and ready for mass production it’s unrealistic to already launch a Kickstarter.
When you need to buy component by 5000 to have a complete reel it’s not the same price as the prototype made at home ^^

On a positive note he already got several protocols supported and he’s going to buy some Ikea bulb to also integrate them.

One to watch, for sure.
Just need patience… :slight_smile:

1 Like

the kickstarter for the zigate project is available : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1361563794/zigate-universal-zigbee-gateway-for-smarthome

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. It looks promising.

Out of Reward so i can not back it.

Yes, he is not a professional so he doesn’t want to offer more reward than what he will be able to produce.

He said his design will be open-source/open-hardware so you’ll be able to put one together yourself.

I think he might also propose some after he delivered the kickstarter backer (he spoke about improving the assembly process post-campaign).

I’ll try to work on the integration with hass once I receive it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The design appears to be pretty simple. I’ve asked which zigbee module he has chosen, so I can built the usb / wifi module myself.

Anyone ordered / backed the campaign? Would be great if it would be supported.

Yes I ordered it, the complete one with wifi module (I’ll certainly reprogram it to work through MQTT, depending on how complex the pairing and communication is).

Sure the hardware seems quite straight forward, just a zigbee serial module with a serial to USB or a serial to wifi adapter (an ESP).
I think it’s a JN5168, but he didn’t announce yet which exact module he will be using.
The same as used in the Mesh Bee from seeedstudio

The hardest part for his project was to crack the encryption protocol and to manage the different implementation of the protocol used by different manufacturer (Ikea, Philips, Xiaomi, …).

Thanks for your reply.
I’ve seen they are only about 11 euro’s at Farnell.

Found a nice breakout board for this module as well.

I agree creating a MQTT bridge would be the moest preferable solution, straight forward to intergrate into several automation systems, Node-Red etc.

Lets hope the software / firmware will be shared public by the developer, it would enable me to bypass the ghost motion problem I’m experiencing Xiaomi body sensor gateway maybe wrong motion detection