Pi 5 won't boot OS 12.1

Hello everyone,
maybe I’m misunderstanding something but I was under the impression that with OS 12 onwards, Pi 5 is officially supported, at least that’s what I gathered from the changelog.

After updating to 12.1 I grabbed the SD card and stuffed it into my freshly arrived Pi 5 but the bootscreen keeps saying something like “OS doesn’t indicate it supports Raspberry Pi 5, to ignore this message please change OS-probe in some text-file.”

Did I miss something? Am I doing something wrong?

Have a nice weekend!
Halest

There are separate images for Pi 5, Pi 4, Pi 3 and Pi 2. Did you flash the correct one ?

Hey,
oh, a couple of years back I thought I had read that HassOS is basically Plug and Play, so I assumed I could just switch over the SD Card?
Then how is the process? Do a clean install and then try to import a backup?

To be honest, I find the rewritten install-tutorial to be quite a downgrade from before and it to be more convoluted than ever but maybe that’s just me.

Correct. :slight_smile:

Alright, I’ll do so, thanks and have a nice weekend!

I have a fresh Raspberry Pi 5 /4GB straight from the box as well as a newly bought SanDisk Extreme 64GB. Used Pi Imager v1.8.5 insalled HA OS 12.1. The Pi is connected to LAN, keyboard and screen. Nothing happens? I installed Raspian OS Lite on the card and the Pi starts. Is there an issue with Pi5/4GB and OS 12.1? ( I have the original 27W power supply)

Did you find a solution? I have the same problem, but I have a pi5 8GB and HA 12.4

Same to me. Pi 5 4GB 32GB SD-Card.
No network LED, nothing.
Using the Imager 1.8.5, with Pi 5 an HA Image selection
I have to get an HDMI Adapter to see whats on the screen

Im having the same issue. Pi5 4gb, 32gb sandisk w/ HA 12 image

Pi power LED comes on, active cooler stays max speed, but no LEDs on the network port and nothing from the HDMI output, just a blank screen.

Hello, for me the solution was the fresh install and restoring a backup. My mistake was trying to boot the Raspi4 SD card on a Raspi5, thinking it would be plug and play.

Just received my Pi5 8GB, new 64GB SanDisk card and RPi 27w charger today, also having the same issues :frowning:
Flashed the SD card with other images and works fine, just no HAOS 12 :sob:

Similar problem. Brand new to HA, just received a new Pi5, 8GB and a 256GB SanDisk SDXC card, along with the Pi5 charger. I can flash the card with imager, but it gets stuck booting:
“boot: mode USB-MSD 4 order f41 retry 0/128 restart 2/-1”

It looks like it just keeps timing out and trying all the boot options.

I have confirmed it’s not the Pi or the SD card; I have been able to flash OpenHAB just fine using the Imager 1.8.5 tool (so that works also). One observation, OpenHAB didn’t really give me any USB not formatted popups, whereas HA flash spawned 7 different USB drives (all asking for format) when it was done flashing.

I have uninstalled Imager 1.8.5 and also tried to flash using BalenaEtcher and the manually downloaded image (in case any of those had problems), but same result. Would like to try HA, but it seems to not want to install. Thoughts?

Same issue for me. Just received my RPI 5 8 GB and tried to install Home Assistant using the RPI Imager. Unfortunately, I am facing the same issues.

Other images (e.g. RaspberryMatic) are working. But it seems to be related to the 12.4 image.

Exact the same Issue for me. So its the 12.4 image

Issue-Ticket is already open:

2 Likes

Thanks Baxxy13!

Had a read of a few posts and found people downloading v12.3 and updating to v12.4.
I am just trying this myself, so far so good :slight_smile:

Download to v12.3 Image - https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/12.3/haos_rpi5-64-12.3.img.xz

1 Like

Confirmed that the 12.3 image is working, so likely a bad 12.4 image on the download site. I’m watching the “Preparing Home Assistant” window now :slight_smile:

I found this page as I was having the boot issue with 12.4.

So I flashed 12.3 expecting success but now I get a black screen. Removing the SD card and I get useful HDMI output but my 12.3 SD card seems busted. Tried re-imaging, re-downloading. I’ve not had such an issue getting a RPi working ever before.

Sounds like this issue but I’ve not yet managed to overcome the issue.

EDIT black screen was power supply issue. 12.3 was good.