Pi Zero with enc28j60 ethernet - no ethernet found / solved

I have Raspberry Pi Zero (without wifi) and I attached an enc28j60 ethernet module.
I am keep getting no ethernet found on boot. I presume that I have to put some config file regarding this. Even Rassbian needs additional setup to activate ethernet module.
Anybody knows how to overcome this?

SOLUTIOIN
to enable module just add:
dtparam=spi=on
dtoverlay=enc28j60,int_pin=25,speed=12000000
to the config file

1 Like

How did you add something to the config.txt file before installation? I am using Mac so I am not able to open the boot disk after flashing the SD card.

For those stumbling on this topic. I stopped with installation of Home Assistant on my non wifi Raspberry zero, because I didn’t wanted to use the installation within Raspbian, too much hassle, but I prefered one of the provided images by home assistant for Raspberries.

The Home Assistant Rpi0w image doesn’t work on the non-wifi Rpi0 (at this moment). Therefore I bought a wifi pi zero and used a USB with the rpi0w image.

I still wanted to use the ENC28j60 module, and therefore I found it handy to be able to open the HassOS-boot partition on my mac, for instance to add a CONFIG directory with my wifi credentials for getting the first connection. And also an easy way to edit the config.txt trough mac user interface.

To be able to to this I did below instructions:

To access the hassos-boot partition on a mac, plug in your SD or USB with your home assistant installation.

Open Terminal and enter command: diskutil list

a list of connected disks is dispayed. The hassOS drive wil be displayed as below:
the disk number can vary, here it is disk6

/dev/disk6 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *31.6 GB    disk6
   1:         Microsoft Reserved                         33.6 MB    disk6s1
   2:           Linux Filesystem                         25.2 MB    disk6s2
   3:           Linux Filesystem                         268.4 MB   disk6s3
   4:           Linux Filesystem                         25.2 MB    disk6s4
   5:           Linux Filesystem                         268.4 MB   disk6s5
   6:           Linux Filesystem                         8.4 MB     disk6s6
   7:           Linux Filesystem                         100.7 MB   disk6s7
   8:           Linux Filesystem                         30.9 GB    disk6s8

Make a new directory on your Mac which is used as a mount folder. You cannot do that in your root username folder, because of security, but on the desktop for instance works

Then in terminal use below command, where the # is replaced by the corresponding disknumber.

sudo /sbin/mount_msdos /dev/disk#s1 /Users/username/Desktop/hassos-boot

Admin mac password is asked, enter

The hassos-boot partition is now being able to be accessed from the mac so you can edit config.txt and other files within Finder.