Pi5 and SSD Boot

Hi all,
Have a Pi5 with 27w power adaptor with a Realtek SSD drive. Issue I have is that it will not boot if I have this plugged into a USB 3 port. If I plug a normal HDD with HA into the USB3 all fine (even boots from SD card). If I move the SSD to a USB2 Port all fine and will boot up,

Looking around people are saying that the Realtek USB isn’t compatible, or that I need to change the command.txt line.

Anyone have a final fix for this?

I have heard amending the config.txt file with quirks line, but not 100% sure how to get to the config file in HA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I went down the same exact rabbit hole and after failing to successfully find the right USB “quirk” to add to the file I just started using a USB2 port - I’m losing a little speed but its pretty snappy so not bothered. Let me know if you figure out how.

This isn’t really hard.
First you need the USB device ID from your adapter.
Best bet ist to boot Raspberry-Pi OS and type lsusb on the shell.
(lsusb under HA-OS is very limited and does not show names)
Should give something like:
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0bc2:3343 Seagate RSS LLC Desktop
Save the ID.

-boot HA-OS, ideally with keyboard and monitor connected.
-type login
-type vi /mnt/boot/cmdline.txt (read about vi usage online)
-append your adapter ID at the end of the line
(example ,0bc2:3343:u)
-save and reboot HA-OS

Still couldn’t get it working. Investigating a bit more, it has something to do with the Realtek driver / controller.

I did get a NVME PCie hat for the Pi5 and a NVMe card. Booted first time.

Thanks for that explanation. I will flash a card with rip-os tonight and give it a go. You’re right, I couldn’t get what I needed with HA-OS command line.