Ping device_tracker stopped working after upgrading to 2024.7.2

I’m puzzled. After upgrading to 2024.7.2, my ping device trackers stopped working. I’ve decided to crack this problem today but … I failed. I’m sure it must be something stupid as I don’t see any reports of the same issue.

I added this to configuration.yaml a while ago:

device_tracker:
  - platform: ping
    hosts:
      pihole: 192.168.1.123
      something: 192.168.1.124

There’s also known_devices.yaml file now. These changes date back to november 2023 and it all worked just fine. Now in my entities card, it just says

Entity not available: device_tracker.pihole

for each of these. The “device_tracker” is no longer present in entities. Any pointers appreciated!

Hello rado,

May I please ask what version you were running before that where this worked?

I ask because if it was from something older, this is likely your problem.

2023.12 Ping integration changes & scan_interval - #157 by petro.

Oh my, what a long thread! Thanks for pointing me to it though, I am pretty sure it was a pre-2023.12 version. So it looks like there was a breaking change? Is it no longer possible to use the above device_tracker configuration using platform: ping?

I was able to re-create the previous behavior using UI now - by adding the Ping (ICMP) integration, and manually adding entities using UI. This will also work for me.

Thank you again!

The link I sent you was the solution to the problem. It should pop into number 157 from Petro.

Sorry, I didn’t really know what to make of that “solution” response. :innocent: I did read a few posts across the thread but didn’t have the energy to read through it all. The “solution” one from Petro seems to be dealing with polling interval customization but in my case, it seems as if my device_tracker defined in configuration.yaml was not being picked up at all. The entities defined by it simply do not exist. :frowning:

That’s why I ended up trying recreating my use-case with the GUI based approach for the Ping integration. It is quite a bit more tedious but works for me. Thank you again :slight_smile:

If it works for you, all is good.
You seemed to be asking also how to get the yaml one to work, you have to set a manual update for it .
Also a tip, if you are updating in jumps like that, IE more that a month jump, always let us know the old version as well. This helps us help you. I guessed right in this case, but that doesn’t always work.

Well I’d love to get the original configuration.yaml to work, or know if the my config is supposed to be still supported, but at least I have a workaround :slight_smile: I’m a home assistant noob anyway. I’ve set aside 15 minutes to get this working today, and spent over 2 hours :grimacing: I used the “reload - all yaml configurations” while testing changes to the main configuration.yaml.

I know that providing as much detail as possible is the best. The thing - is I upgraded a few weeks ago, but didn’t have time to look into this earlier, so I forgot what the original version was. Sorry about that - and thank you again. :slight_smile:

Edit 8/7/2024: I just realized I have a backup from before upgrading. The previous version was 2023.11.2 so as I suspected, it was a pre-2023.12 one. Will be more careful about providing the details next time :slight_smile:

I seem to remember that with the change the ping sensors were migrated from yaml to the UI. So it may be the yaml is no longer working at all. It is no longer in the documentation as far as I can tell.

1 Like

Thank you Edwin. Could it be related to this change?

Yes, that is probably the migration to GUI no longer happening.