Pioneer WYT mini split wifi integration

Hi all,

I just installed a Pioneer WYT (Diamante) mini-split into my garage. So far, it’s working great. I found a wifi module that I can attach to the unit.

I know that the WYS models can be integrated, following this guide. Pioneer Mini Split – Home Assistant – XtremeOwnage

I was wondering if anybody has done this before with a WYT unit. I’d love to have this integrated into home assistant with two way communication.

Thanks

1 Like

Just bought a WYT and a wifi module too. Will be looking for a solution once it’s installed.

This might work too since i think its just a white labeled midea unit.

So looks like the serial protocol is different on the WYT. I tried using the esphome midea but didn’t respond. OEM Wifi hardware for the WYT has an ESP8266 module in it.

Any chance that ESP could be flashed with esphome or something?

@rjg13 Were you ever able to confirm whether the WYT (Diamante) models are able to integrate with HA? If so, did you use the same integration guide as the WYS models? About to buy one of those internet access and control modules but only want it if I can hook up with HA.

@bseishen were you able to get the WYT wifi module integrated with HA?

I haven’t bought the wireless module yet. If I can’t get it to integrate then I don’t think I’ll bother with buying the module. But if it does run esp32, then we should be able to flash it.

Not yet, I have serial capture of the communication between the wifi module and wall unit if interested. Kind of a back burner project right now.

Hi @bseishen, just checking if you might have made any progress. Thanks :slight_smile:

Have been checking in on this thread for about 3 months hoping for an update. I specifically bought Pioneer because I saw it was compatible with local HA control. I got everything hooked up and was really disappointed to find that the Diamante units are not Midea compatible.

I’m also looking for a way to hook this up to Home Assistant…I tried the way above before realizing mine is a newer model and it doesn’t work…model WYT012GLFI22RL, with the integrated wifi module.

Hopefully someone is making some progress here. I’m not familiar at all with how to do this, but would be willing to help in whatever way I can.

WYT model here too. Hoping to find a local integration!

Actually working on reversing this now. I won’t make a home assistant plugin but I can share the serial protocol if someone else wants to once I figure it out.

I pulled the firmware and have wired up to sniff the serial line as well.

The module is a tuya smart tywe1s, which is one of their esp8266s. Another option would be to integrate after obtaining the local device API key from tuya.

The messages at 9600 baud all start with “BB”, so I don’t think it’s exactly the Midea protocol, but seems similar: midea-uart/src at main · reneklootwijk/midea-uart · GitHub

4 Likes

Got this working to where I can send messages to set mode (heat/cool/dehumidify/fan/auto), temperature, etc. This appears mostly functional

It’s actually 9600 baud but 8e1.

There are still 4 hello/status type messages sent. I don’t understand them or the response to them.

I’ll share at some point if anyone wants to make a home assistant adaptation.

6 Likes

Yes, please share!! I’ll help polish the code and contribute

I’m currently working on an ESP32 replacement for my WTY Pioneer Aircon! See

My heartbeat message is 0xBB, 0x00, 0x01, 0x04, 0x02, 0x01, 0x00, 0xBD at 9600 baud, even parity. This returns some sort of status message. Any help with the FW dump, how you did the limited control you have, etc would be A++

I also have a list of all of the DSPs I can share!

3 Likes

Yes can do, I just need to clean up the code I have and push to GitHub. Probably in a week or two.

4 Likes

Here’s what I found so far, with help from the GPTs
Example TX frame, 9600 baud, even parity:
F9 00 01 03 1D 00 00 44 01 5A 00 06 80 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 BC

Byte 1 (F9): This byte seems to signal the start of a message or potentially indicate the type of message or command.

Bytes 2-3 (00 01): These two bytes could be a static header or potentially a command or a device ID.

Byte 4 (03): This byte could be a command or a specific setting.

Byte 5 (1D): This byte could also be part of the command or specific setting.

Bytes 6-7 (00 00): These two bytes appear to be reserved or unused.

Bytes 8-9: Operation mode:

01 58: Heat
00 55: Dry
07 55: Fan
08 55: Auto
03 18: Cool
Bytes 10-11: Temperature setting (in Fahrenheit) which seems to be valid for all modes:

57: 73°F
56: 74°F
55: 75°F
54: 76°F
00: When the operation mode is not Heat?

Byte 12: Fan speed setting:

07: Turbo
06: High
03: Medium-High
04: Medium
02: Medium-Low
00: Low
06: Auto
02: Mute (or possibly a repeated Medium-Low speed and the mute setting is missing from the data)

Bytes 13-14: These bytes change when the operation mode changes but the exact mapping is unclear.

Byte 15: GEN mode setting:

00: OFF
02: 30%
03: 50%
01: 80%

Bytes 16-36: These bytes seem to be a data payload related to the command or setting, possibly containing status information, sensor readings, or other data.

Byte 37 (BC): This is the checksum byte. It’s calculated as the XOR of all the previous bytes in the message (excluding the checksum byte itself).

Checksum Calculation Method:

The checksum is calculated by taking the XOR (exclusive OR) of all bytes in the message, excluding the checksum byte. The result is then placed in the checksum byte. This method provides a simple and effective way of checking if the message has been received correctly.

5 Likes

I thought that mi A/C would be using Midea protocol, but sadly it isn’t.
I’m excited about this integration! :smiley:
Thank you!

1 Like

I have a WYT and the wifi module and it is a Tuya device. I’m using the “tuya-local” integration with the “starlight heatpump” device config to control it and it works pretty well. The integration can’t do all of the things, but it can do a great many. It can control all modes of the device (heat, cool, etc) as well as the fan and direction of the fan guides. It can also control the beep and display light settings.

It should work completely locally and might be a bit easier to use compared to decoding the serial communications.

Great find! So did you have to pair the device with the Tuya app first and if so how’d you go about that?