PIR Sensor ? IKEA Trådfri or others?

Hi Folks!

I’m pretty much a beginner here discovering that today I can use my Synology with Docker to contain Home Assistant…

Anyway so far I only have few IKEA elements including the Gateway.

Then I have other stuffs but it’s not the point here.

Anyway I wanted to include motion sensor in the new apartment essentially for walk in closets plus entrance (where I would hope also the sensor to trigger other actions)

I’ve read that the IKEA were not super efficient. Do you have other suggestions that are not involving building a whole new environment? Meaning using either IKEA Gateway or available Wifi?

Thanks

The IKEA motion sensor talks to the bulb, Home Assistant can’t receive any signals from it directly.
This means that you can’t create automations in HA based on the motion sensor alone. What you CAN do is make automations based on status of the bulb so that when the sensor triggers the bulb the bulb will in turn trigger something in HA.
The efficiency of this is dependent on how fast HA gets the status of the bulb, so your mileage will vary, but depending on what kind of automation you’re looking for it could be worth a shot…?
For whatever it’s worth, I have a IKEA motion sensor in a small room, and it works flawlessly.

I tried the Trådfri PIR in the bathroom, but found the delay utterly annoying. It’s just too slow for my liking.

I went for xiaomi aqara body sensors. They are a lot more responsive.

Thanks but am I correct when I say that Xiaomi sensors will need their own gateway?

Yep, you’ll need a gateway for it. Integrates nicely with home assistant though.

Thanks for your answer I understand. Issue is I would like to limit the number of bridges… I think I will stick on the PIR from IKEA and give a try to monitoring the bulb.

Good luck. Wonder how long it’ll take before you get annoyed by them :wink:

lol I will keep you posted on that. I’m sure I will loose my few remaining hair. But I really to keep it simple… If it would have been wifi directly it would have been a different story.