Planning a new HA system from scratch starting with one door lock

I have been responsible for one Schlage Connect BE469 lock at my work for the past 2-3 years. I first managed it with Wink, then with Smart Things but both have proven unsatisfactory, which brings me to HA. My requirements are pretty straightforward: A few automations to lock the door at certain times, and to relock it if unlocked after hours; The ability to create/delete about 25 keypad access codes and to keep a record of when they are used; The ability to monitor the lock’s status and issue a command to un/lock it at will. That’s it. I don’t need remote access to HA since I can VPN into my office LAN to access HA.

I know that I should be able to do all that with the current lock via Z-Wave JS plus other tools but I suspect I could do the same much more simply if I bought an August or other lock that integrates with HA. Can anyone confirm this for me? I’ve been looking and reading but haven’t been able verify that. My thinking is that since I’m building the HA from scratch, I don’t want to create Z-Wave networks, etc., unless absolutely necessary. I’ll likely add other devices in the future. Thanks in advance for any insights and advice. -Tim

Im not exactly following you on the ‘not wanting to create a zwave network’ part… You have to have a zwave network to communicate with a zwave lock work…

That said… A lock (Your BE469), a ZStick, a HA install, and the community Keymaster integration (HACS) should do what you want. The only part I’m spotty on are the max number of slots in Keymaster and the max number of slots in the BE469. 25 is a lot. I can’t remember if the lock even supports that.

As an aside, I used RBoy on SmartThings to manage my 3 Schlage BE469s for many years. Worked well - I outgrew ST. The setup I describe above now runs those same locks just as well, required more tinkering than prior solution.

Thanks for the info. I understand that a Zwave network is needed to manage a Zwave lock, which is what lead me to consider replacing it with one that integrates directly with HA. If I understand correctly, specific models of August locks, for example, won’t require any other tools to work with HA. Perhaps the Zwave plus Keymaster solution is less complicated than I’m imagining it, but I’d like the simplest solution that meets the specs. If we had a lot of Zwave locks, replacing them all at $200 each might outweight the preference for simplicity, but there’s just the one. So I guess my revised question is can I manage the access codes (the BE469 holds 30) in a lock that integrates directly with HA, or does that require Keymaster or other tools? The automations in ST work fine. It’s the access code management and usage recording that have become disappointing. Samsung seems to have lost interest in home automation. Thanks again. -Tim

I never used Samsungs built in solutions for management of codes. Forntgat Inused RBoy specifically because of the issues you mention. The builtin is… Lacking.

For 35 bucks lifetime code access RBoys suite was unbeatable… Really, if inwere still on ST and they not in tge midst of moving platforms id buy it immediately in a heart beat. Its good code.

Key master is almost as good. But like anything its open source code and you will need to study, understand how it works and installs to be successful. If it handles the number of code slots you need itll be plenty good. But youll need to ask.

Personally I will never install a wifi based Iot device in my home if I can avoid it. (long dissertation on viability of many low bandwidth devices and limited DHCP on your typical residential WiFi network here)

So for me it would be ZWave or Zigbee, or some variation of Thread/matter in a future instance.

Finally the lock. (whuch is actually what i made my personal decision on) Schlage or Yale. (im sticking with known lock manufacturers and I can personally bump key a standard Kwikset lock in 5 seconds flat… So jo Kwikset here.) The fact i can install a Schlage Connect in ab ANSI class I install using a reinforced plate and jamb screws AND rekey it easily to match my other three. Wins hands down for me.

In short you have a great lock… In a residential situation its a caddilac and id do a lot of stuff to try to keep it there.

The limitations yiure running into are software, not the lock itself. Thoroughly research those.

Thanks very much for your reply. Your comments on WiFi and the locks were especially interesting. These are the kinds of insights that I find so helpful. I will learn about Keymaster and most likely buy a Zwave stick and get familiar with how all that works.

I work in IT and I’d be interested in reading a long dissertation on viability of many low bandwidth devices, etc. Is there a thread on that somewhere? Thanks again. -Tim

Forgot to ask, do you have any recommendations for or against any particular brand or specific Zwave stick? -Tim

Certainly… Ill save you my thumolb pecks for that… go study why WiFi6 was created - its the same basic issue. Compound the limitations of consumer processors with limitations of consumer DHCP, without WiFi6 most consumer grade wifi gear your mom and dad might buy at the box stores will start dropping stuff at 50 clients and some stop giving out dhcp leases with more than 128 devices (even if it let you configure an entire /24 address space). Thats not a problem for mom and dad - they have a grand total of a phone, a computer and maybe the TV on the network… It would take 84 addresses just to get all my switches… But id also add that WiFi was never intended to be a low power low bandwidth network and therefore very ‘heavy’ in its protocols. Thats why a lot of low speed devices saturate it so quickly. You can work around it with good gear and moving to WiFi6. (you overpower the issue - brute force) Next issues are around network isolation of those devices… Again not something consumer gear does well if at all so if ita important you need pro-sumer gear to light commercial gear. (read $$$) to do that. (at which point you start to lose the benefits of the cheap devices)

If i use ZWave i (yes im oversimplifying) I generally dont worry about any of that.

For a stick, i got the zooz 700 stick for ZWave (using Zwavejs w/Zwavejs2mqtt - interface only) and a conbee II (Zigbee2mqtt)

All good points. I use UniFi equipment & software at work and at home, so I think I can manage the IP’s and VLANs for isolation, but you make a strong case for Z-wave so I’m starting with it and if it works well for me, then no need to bother with WiFi. Thanks again. -Tim

One of the beautiful things about Home Assistant is that you don’t have vendor lock-in. So you can start with Zwave, and then, if you want, add in some Wi-Fi or other protocol devices as well. Zwave forms the core of my sensors and switches, but I also have some Shellies and a camera using Wi-Fi. They just all work together in my HA automations.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. The more I learn about Z-wave, the more I like it, but I agree, versatility is really important.

Update: I am waiting on delivery of a Zooz stick and a couple of AC receptacles. I have installed HACS on HA, and have installed the Keymaster package. I didn’t try adding any integrations since there are no locks to detect. (BTW, the Keymaster docs say that the number of slots available is set by the lock, so my BE469 should still have 30.)

Can you point me towards a primer on setting up the initial Z-wave network? Thanks. -Tim