For the past three years I’ve been running HA core in a venv on Ubuntu Server on an Intel NUC without any issues. It’s run as a service under a non-root service account. I have versioned flat-file backups kept in two separate locations.
With the introduction of ZWaveJS, which I understand I’ll need to run in Docker / native I’m planning to move my existing install across to the docker container once I’ve migrated my relatively small zwave setup across.
The plan currently is to:
- Install docker
- Install portainer as a docker container (for oversight)
- Install ZWaveJSMQTT as a docker container with MQTT disabled and migrate zwave
- Install HA Core as a docker container and migrate HA environment.
My intention is to use docker compose files to specify the containers for easy backups.
My setup isn’t overly complex, but I have the following elements that I believe will require attention to complete the move:
- command line sensors
- Aeotec Zwave USB controller - will require pass-through from ZwaveJSMQTT container
- USB GSM modem (SMS integration) - will require pass-through from HA container
- Is there anyone out there who can give the benefit of their experience doing something similar?
- Can I keep using the service account to run the containers (it has appropriate dialup permissions for usb access etc.)
- Will I be able to run the command line sensors from within the docker containers?
- Is there anything I’m missing / overlooking with the above?