Platform nest does not generate unique IDs

Hi,

I have the nest component configured. When I start Home Assistant (0.83.3), I see the following error message in the logs:

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/src/app/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 343, in _async_add_entity
raise HomeAssistantError(msg)
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Entity id already exists: 
binary_sensor.downstairs_thermostat_is_using_emergency_heat. Platform nest does not generate unique 
IDs

It does this for all of the sensors the Nest thermostat has. Other that this error the component functions perfectly fine. I checked the ‘core.entity_registry’ file and looked at the “unique_id”, but I don’t see any duplicate ones for my Nest. The first part of the ID is the same, but then it’s hyphenated with the sensor type.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

I’m having the same issue. I just upgraded to 84.1 from 82.0 and now I’m seeing the issue. I’ll let you know if I find anything out.

Check your .storage/core.config_entries and see if you might have multiple instance of nest setup or referenced in there. I did and when I removed one of the instances, so that there was only one left, then those errors disappeared.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll have a look today and let you know what I find.

Thanks! I indeed had two instances of nest setup in my .storage/core.config_entries file. When I removed the second one, the errors disappeared.

Awesome! Glad to help!

I had the same problem with weather integration from met.no after copying config from an old server. Your tip checking core.config_entries fixed it, thanks!!

1 Like