đź—Ł Play Plex media on your media player using Assist voice command

Main features

Play any Plex media on a media player of your choice using an Assist voice action.
The media player has to support this action for the command to work.
Both Movies and TV Shows are supported.
The automation will first try to find a TV Show, if it cannot be found it will try to find the movie by the media title.

Voice command

To play a movie or a TV show use the following Assist command:
Play {title} on Plex

Importing

Click the badge to import this Blueprint:

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

Or import this Blueprint by using the Gist URL.

Limitations

• It is required to enter both a Movies and TV Shows library, not just one of both.
  • The voice command itself is not customizable yet, but I will probably add that later.

F.A.Q.

To be added.

Changelog

• 2023-08-03: Initial version
  • 2023-08-07: Added support for using blueprint for multiple different media players by setting media player friendly name to trigger on.

If you have any issues or questions, please let me know :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can I add multiple TVs for media player?

Not with the old version, but I’ve now created a new version of the blueprint that supports setting a media_player_friendly_name. This way you can create multiple automations from the blueprint for multiple media players. I wanted to try to add support for a fully customized trigger sentence, but that does not seem to be supported by the conversation trigger currently. Please try the new version and see if it works for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do i get the new version?

Re-import the blueprint to get the new version. There is no update mechanism for blueprints yet…

True, but maybe you can include some “version number” in the description as blacky does on his blueprints, so at least the user has a clearer indicator to know if they are on the last version.

Also, after a reimport, you might need to reload automations to be sure the last blueprint is loaded up to use.

Btw, great job with this blueprint :raised_hands::tada::grin:

I have updated the blueprint but still the same results. When I give it a command it says done and the logs says it completed the task but nothing on my tv moves or plays anything?

Do you get errors in the home assistant logs? Possibly your media player does not support this action. Not all of my media players do, for instance a nest hub works but my Nvidia shield does not. In that case I get an error in the logs that this action is not supported for that media player.

I’m using Plex from my LG TV Appstore. There were errors. I will find the logs.

Can you add Jellyfin and Emby to this too?

1 Like

I don’t think so, since the blueprint depends on the media_player.play_media service. Shortly googling it seems Emby nor Jellyfin support this. But if I’m wrong it should be possible to create a blueprint that does the same thing for those systems.

1 Like

Is it posible to control it using alexsa?

You are right, unfortunately the jellyfin addon is a bit lacking

I imported the new blueprint and configured 2 automations with different media players and media player friendly names, however when using assist to call one of them plex always streams on the same device(but both the automations created are called). Am I doing something wrong?

Later edit: if it helps i stream to the media players created by the plex media server integration. i can see in the logs sometimes that it skips one of them cause it s not available. but even when they both are only one receives the stream regardless of what i chose as the speaker)