Playstation 5 sensors

Has anyone tinkered at all with the ps4 module to see if we can get it to see PS5?
There are quite a few of us now with the PS5 and wanted to swap out my automations:
Dimming lights when in state “playing” etc…

I know its bleeding edge released… Just curious

3 Likes

It’s not out untill 19th in Europe. I believe the majority of HA users and devs are located in Europe (at least that’s my impression). So I’ll bet we know more this week :wink:

1 Like

So I just setup my PlayStation 5 and decided to test this. It won’t work for one simple reason: there is no Second Screen app for the PS5. You need to use that to setup HA with PS4. Since it’s not present on PS5 it’s impossible to implement the PS5 with the same method.

Either we need to wait till PS5 gets a software update that supports second screen, or we need a different method. So I think it will take a long time before you have PS5 integrated in our HA systems :frowning_face:

Edit: just to clarify: The PS4 second screen app does not work with PS5.

on PS4 with frimware 8.00 now u can “remote play ps5”. this it is a “second screen” but different.
someone will find the new protocol

I wouldn’t count on that. I don’t want to sound pessimistic, but Remote Play and Second Screen operate very differently. Technical standpoint aside: Second Screen allows you to control the console through the app ánd controller at the same time. Emulating the Second Screen app therefore is practical in controlling the console. Remote Play acts like a Dualshock/DualSense controller. This means when you connect through Remote Play, your controller will disconnect. Making it less ideal for controlling your console.

Ofcourse, the PS5 is just released and a lot of features from the PS4 are still missing as of now. So my bet is all will be possible again sometime in the future. We just have to be patient and hope Sony will release feature updates to bring back missing PS4 features to PS5.

1 Like

My ask is to detect state only at this point… not control it, even validating if its ON/OFF is better than nothing. I was making decisions based on this. :frowning:

1 Like

Did anyone find out ways to connect ps5 to hassio? Yet? :slight_smile:

Not yet… there has been some talking on GitHub in the original PS4-waker repo but the developer of that doesn’t have a ps5 yet… Feel free to dig in! I’ve been playing with Wireshark when connecting with remote play, but that doesn’t help much because the PS4 waker and ha PS4 component utilize Second Screen which is not a thing for Ps5…

@Bartem et all
Appears we may be able to sense when the PS5 is on at least using the APIs to talk to the controller?
The PS5 controller now has full Steam Input API support | PC Gamer

Detecting if the ps5 is on or off is rather simple: make a binary ping sensor and give the ps5 a static ip. Ive done it with my pc, internet connection and before the xbox one component (first the custom one, later the official one) came out, with this way.

Here is a start to something… seems to be working… https://github.com/iharosi/ps5-wake/

EDIT: Just be advised, some users are still having issues with rest-mode crashing their systems… it may be worth waiting for another System Software Update that resolves that before you plan to leave your PS5 in rest mode all the time…

1 Like

This is great news - it can query the state which is what we need for automations.

@Bartem I run HA in Raspberry Pi 4… is there a way to install the ps5-wake on it?

What operating system? It’s just a command line/terminal utility… @Mattias_Persson made a nice little guide here: PlayStation 5 Command Line Sensor Help - Command Failed/Empty JSON

@Bartem that does not work on my instance of hassio (running on pi 4)

➜ ps5-wake git:(master) sudo make install
sudo: make: command not found

I don’t remember exactly the steps I did to get “make” to work but I remember I had quite the hassle at first… maybe try something like:

sudo apt-get install make

or

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Yeah I had tried those too… doesn’t understand apt-get

@Bartem anyway you can send the folder (with the compiled) as a zip to me on onedrive or googledrive?

Did you find a way to make it work? I’m also running hassio on a r-pi3 and the terminal is not recognizing apt-get