Playstation 5 sensors

My ask is to detect state only at this point… not control it, even validating if its ON/OFF is better than nothing. I was making decisions based on this. :frowning:

1 Like

Did anyone find out ways to connect ps5 to hassio? Yet? :slight_smile:

Not yet… there has been some talking on GitHub in the original PS4-waker repo but the developer of that doesn’t have a ps5 yet… Feel free to dig in! I’ve been playing with Wireshark when connecting with remote play, but that doesn’t help much because the PS4 waker and ha PS4 component utilize Second Screen which is not a thing for Ps5…

@Bartem et all
Appears we may be able to sense when the PS5 is on at least using the APIs to talk to the controller?
The PS5 controller now has full Steam Input API support | PC Gamer

Detecting if the ps5 is on or off is rather simple: make a binary ping sensor and give the ps5 a static ip. Ive done it with my pc, internet connection and before the xbox one component (first the custom one, later the official one) came out, with this way.

Here is a start to something… seems to be working… https://github.com/iharosi/ps5-wake/

EDIT: Just be advised, some users are still having issues with rest-mode crashing their systems… it may be worth waiting for another System Software Update that resolves that before you plan to leave your PS5 in rest mode all the time…

1 Like

This is great news - it can query the state which is what we need for automations.

@Bartem I run HA in Raspberry Pi 4… is there a way to install the ps5-wake on it?

What operating system? It’s just a command line/terminal utility… @Mattias_Persson made a nice little guide here: PlayStation 5 Command Line Sensor Help - Command Failed/Empty JSON

@Bartem that does not work on my instance of hassio (running on pi 4)

➜ ps5-wake git:(master) sudo make install
sudo: make: command not found

I don’t remember exactly the steps I did to get “make” to work but I remember I had quite the hassle at first… maybe try something like:

sudo apt-get install make

or

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Yeah I had tried those too… doesn’t understand apt-get

@Bartem anyway you can send the folder (with the compiled) as a zip to me on onedrive or googledrive?

Did you find a way to make it work? I’m also running hassio on a r-pi3 and the terminal is not recognizing apt-get

The PS5 returns ping requests? Mind posting the sensor code?

Ofc a PS5 reacts to pings. Every computer out there (and the ps5 is no exception) reacts to pings.
For the code, its just

binary_sensor:
  - platform: ping
    host: (ip of your PS5) example 192.168.2.59
    name: PS5

But wouldn’t this rely on the Ping command interval? Default is 5 mins according to the official documentation. I don’t think it’s wise to set automations that may be delayed up to 5 mins before firing.

I could set that for say, “5 seconds” but that seems like I’m sending out a whole lot of ping requests for this single purpose.

Im using an intervall of a minute, sorry, forgot to include it above. This intervall works for my xbox one and my pc like a charm. Tbh, i cant imagine an automation for my pc/console that needs to trigger as soon as i start it. 1 minute delay is for me a good balance between “not-flooding” my network and usability.
What do you want to automate with the console state as trigger? Im turning on my pc fans rgb (this controller was cheaper than getting a controller “for gamers” tm), lights on my desk and switching my amplifier to its pc input. On xbox start and pc off, im switching my amp to its console input.
If you really need a fast changing of the binary sensor, maybe its worth getting a smart wallplug with power monitoring. By measuring the power consumption you can get standby, idle and playing state, maybe even a state for just netflix. But i cant tell that for sure, since i dont have such a smart plug and no ps5, and i dont know if the situation of getting one has changed. I mean, its easier to complete a 10000 piecec puzzle than getting a ps5 or an rtx30xx graphics card haha.

Currently I’m obtaining the state of my receiver and when HA sees the receiver in “game mode” (that’s it’s output when the PS5 is on), and I’m home, and it’s daylight to lower a group of lutron shades, set the lighting, and play a clip from a song over a sonos area in the room.

I’m doing this through a custom sensor that gets the attribute from the network connected onyko-type receiver and there’s about a 5 second delay between when my receiver switches states and my HA fires the automations.

I have other automations for night time, turning off the PS5, etc so I was inquiring about the Ping method in an effort to reduce the latency between when my receiver reports its state and when HA begins the automation process.

Based on this conversation, I’m likely at the best speed/implementation now as I don’t really want to send out ping requests to my PS5 faster than 5 seconds, continuously, forever…

And I’m w/ you bro on the PS5/vid card availability. I had to buy both my PS5’s from scalpers on eBay…

1 Like