PLCs integration

Hi all,

I want to integrate PLC “siemens, shneider, GCE …” into Home assistant.
Should i integrate it with modbus tcp/ip communication? or another type of communication?

Best regards,

Does your PLC support mqtt?

That would be the easiest option.

1 Like

hi tom_I,

thanks for your answer.

I have two controllers: Simatic Siemens S7-1200 “support mqtt” & GCE IPX800 V4 “don’t support mqtt”.

I want to integrate one of my controllers to control all my domotic devises “by wiring” and communicate it with my raspberry pi 3 b+ “with hassio”.
But i don’t know the best way to proceed.

should i use node-red?

i’m a beginner on home assistant.

Without understanding the protocols that your devices/controllers support it’s impossible for us to assist with that also. How about some information on these controllers? What protocols and languages do they speak?

1 Like

Hi,

Siemens PLC can communicate on modbus TCP/IP, ISO-on-TCP, UDP Ethernet and profinet

Datasheet :

Modbus TCP/IP is the only protocol out of the 4 you listed which have an existing HA component, as far as I know. So I’d start there.

1 Like

Thanks, i will test modbus communication.

If you’re PLC supports Codesys 3.5 the this might be worth a look;

project build around a MQTT lib with Qos 2 support for pub and sub with ready to use FB for lights, covers, dimmers etc…

nice thing about it is that core operations like switching lights, controlling covers are controlled from the PLC which is very reliable and robust. MQTT communication allows control from other systems like for example Home Assistant.

YAML examples for integrating with HA are included!

1 Like

Thanks a lot, i will test this solution too

Hi everyone.
I also have a home system fully wired on a PLC, in my case I use an Omron CJ1 PLC. Having no way to connect it to HA I managed to interface it through a Weintek HMI, which gives me the possibility to use MQTT. I don’t know if this information could be useful to someone, I solved it in this way and with little expense. I am a neophyte in HA, I am learning from scratch. I am happy to have tried it.
I apologize for grammatical errors. I use the translator: P

2 Likes

hello,
how you solved?