Please bring Pi-Hole back

Hi there,

unfortunately besides some more shitty things the Pi-Hole Addon is gone forever since years.

Adguard Home is a really kiddy solution but preferred by big chief Frenck. For me Adguard is a piece of crap.The internal DNS resolution is shitty and the resolution time is for U10 script kiddies.

I would love to have a Pi-Hole Addon back.

Is there probably any community Add-On available?

Greets
D//

Sounds like adgaurd folks provide more support and pihole didn’t have person to work on addon.

The addons are just docker containers. Just run docker and not HAOS

1 Like

Do you have a How-To for that?
I am running a x86 installation and really don’t know how to get custom docker containers in that capsulated installation.

You would need to change your install method from HAOS to HA Core in docker or VM but will lose ability to use addons. You will need to install and manage each addon separately.

I prefer docker install. This site explains method and requirements, although the site makes the complicated more complicated.

BASICALLY

Backup HA >> install Linux >> install docker >> recommend install portainer to manage docker >> install HA in docker >> verify you can get to HA login screen >> restore HA config

1 Like

Hey don’t dis my boy Frenck! I love adguard but I am sure you have valid reasons and I am very much a noob in that regard -

Losing addons is a bad idea - use a VM: one for HAOS and one for Pi-hole. This is what I have, but am planning to move from VirtualBox to Proxmox (a web interface to a server is a better option as Ubuntu Remote Desktop is flaky, and autostarting VirtualBox containers is also flaky imo).

But preferably put Pi-hole on a physical box of its own. With your main router using pi-hole for DNS, any reboots/outages also takes out your internet access for a while. This is what I will do when I pull my finger out.

If you really are going that route, consider to run Pi-Hole in a Proxmox container.

1 Like

I just installed pi-hole on my x86 2G Atom running vanilla Debian using this command:

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

It installed on the computer and works very well.

At the time, I could not figure out how to install Docker on this cheapo legacy 32-bit Debian.

Also installed pi-hole on my RPI 4 at the lake house a couple days ago. There are lots of docker compose examples…

That’s called HA Container :wink:

Is this just requesting that Pi-Hole be cooked into HA through the actual Add-Ons? I use the extension and run Pi-Hole on a separate system (VM) and the extension works great. Until I moved it I ran Pi-Hole & Homebridge on one rPi and HA on another.

I’ve created a Pi-hole addon some time ago. You can find it here.

3 Likes

Thanks Casper! Your Pi-hole home assistant addon was easy to install and works great.

1 Like

Thanks @casperklein, that’s a great project!

Two quick questions:

1. IPv4 works like a charm but I am not able to have it work using IPv6. I included the IPv6 address and stamp of the DNS in the config but it seems that the pi-hole docker container (running on HA yellow) does not have an IPv6 address. Any idea how to fix this?

2. Is there any way to access the pi-hole container using the remote app? This would make it a lot easier to, e.g., with pi-hole of for a couple minutes if needed.

Thanks again!

If you want to turn pihole off for a couple of minutes, the integration (not the addon) is the way to go.

Personally I think this is the way to go anyway. Pi-Hole covers your whole network, so it really shouldn’t be dependent on your HA box running. I’ve had it on an old RPi3 for years now and haven’t even had to think about it other than updating it occasionally. The integration works fine to monitor (and disable) it.

I run two PiHoles: one as a container on the same NAS that runs HA (also in a container); and the other as a “bare metal” installation on an old Banana Pi M1 that is also a Spotify client.

Router includes both IP addresses in DHCP, so if one goes down whilst being upgraded, the other is still available.

I have to admit this definitely makes sense :wink:

And it’s really not difficult to use! Pi-hole is running great as a Docker container, and Docker is an officially supported installation method for Pi-Hole.

I’m running my Pi-Hole on an old Pi3 (used an old Pi2, worked great as well, but the Pi2 broke) more or less exclusively and it works like a charme! As @Troon said, I think Pi-Hole should be worth its own machine, as it will be one of very few integral parts of your home setup.

That’s why Docker is so easy to use. You “pull” the new container(s), before you do the “recreate”.

> docker compose pull
> docker compose up -d --force-recreate

I can see the use of two installations, but that’s a wanted “overkill”. Not necessary, but cool to have! :slight_smile:

Mine runs on an ancient pi. Good idea to run another one for redundancy.

But when the NAS OS (Synology DSM in my case) is being upgraded, Docker goes down.