Please help... Ceiling Sensor

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on radar sensors that are compatible with ESPHome and can be ceiling-mounted rather than wall-mounted. Specifically, I’m interested in a sensor that supports multi-person tracking.

So far, I’ve used the DF Robot sensors and Hi-links LD2450, but these seem to be better suited for wall mounting. Any recommendations for a ceiling-mounted solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Better as far as how it physically mounts or better as far as how it functions?

Ideally one thats antenna is designed to be ceiling mounted over wall. When I look at the specs some mention celing, some just say wall.

Do you mean its detection radius or field of detection when you say its antenna? I cant say ive seen many or at all with an antenna in the traditional sense of the word.

So, are you looking for something that for example could be mounted in the center of the ceiling that can detect and count people in a 360 degree radius instead of a specific degree of detection like this < ? Or are you specifically talking about how it physically mounts to a wall/ceiling?

If its just how they mount you could always 3d print your own to meet your needs or have one printed.
https://www.thingiverse.com/ is a good place to start looking.

As far as 360 degree presence with the capability to count/track individuals im not aware of any. You could combine 2 mmwave wave sensors and have them back to back and get close to 360 degrees.

Just out of curiosity, why does it need to be ceiling mounted instead of just putting it up high in a corner where its able to see 90% of a room? That seems to work for most people.

I mean the how the antenna on the board should point in relation to the ground. Not talking about a sensor with a detactable one :slight_smile:

Ceiling mounting it best as im using this as a multi room sensor which has a voice assistant built in. So celing mount in the middle or side of the room is best

Did you read any of the data sheets for your sensors? It explains all of that.

1 Like