Please help/ invalid cofig without making changes!

That makes sense. So, is there another way to do backups that isn’t a snapshot, and that wont cause corruption if you restore. I know this is a tangent from the original post, but quite an interesting one.

Using a snapshot, there are 2 solutions to the database corruption problem :
1/ don’t use sqllite, but change your recorder settings to an external database, e.g. mariadb. The database will not be included in the snapshot, so no corruption on restore.
2/ if using sqllite, stop HA before restore (configuration -> server controls -> at the bottom stop) and do a manual restore, using SSH

HA sn restore

Might not work on HassOS ( I don’t use HassOS)

Another way of doing backup without snapshots is simply using samba to copy /config (including the hidden folders !!!) to another machine. I use both.

Thanks Francis, all makes sense and sounds quite simple.

The issue i have right now though is I cannot access my files through Samba as it seems that is another one of the things that has been corrupted. Looking at SSH, that is not right either. both this and Samba have lost their config sections in the add-on, which I guess is why they are not working.

From this, I would assume I need to restore an older, working, snapshot and start from there? Another lesson learnt here, will get Samba running again and use that to do any required restores in future. Just to confirm, all I need to do to do this is copy the entire HASS file on the PC, including the .yaml files(are these the ones you class as the hidden files?) and then paste them back in to the homeassistant/config file when I do need to do a restore.

thanks again

The config for add-ons has moved to the top of the page

No. These with a light icon and starting with a dot are hidden directories. These need to be copied too.

I hadnt noticed the configuration had moved to the top, I kind of assumed it was another error! I now have access back via samba.

The only issue i see now is theat I do not seem to have the hidden files you mention on show to be able to copy. nothing that starts with a dot. Is this likely because I am running HASSOS? And if i copy all of the files in the image, would the hidden files be automatically copied if i go down this route?

Also, just to make sure before i delete anything, am I correct in thinking I delete the entire highlighted file(home_assistant_v2) as noted above by Squirtbrnr. Certainly wouldnt want to give myself any more issues and have to start again…

In Windows, go to Control panel -> File Explorer options

Oh how I wish I had your knowledge. It is a steep learning curve for me thats for sure, but I am (mostly) enjoying it!!

Do I delete the file as suggested above?

Cant thank you enough for taking the time to help me out and pass on some advice.

If the file is corrupt, there is no problem deleting it.

thanks Francis, you have been very helpful as have all the contributors here. it is much appreciated.

Thanks all, have deleted the corrupt file and the errors have now gone.

And at least i know and understand a little more of what has happened.

Appreciate all of your efforts

2 Likes

What’s the HACS Hive integration? I can’t see anything in the store for Hive?

I did get this from HACS, and is still working, but now I try to open it to add as a link for you I am getting an error back from the repository. Will open am issue tomorrow.

It does work well for me though, get all the entities available for Hive. I mainly wanted it for battery status as the smaller intergration knly gives thermostat readings and control over boost with scripts.

Here is cut down version I started with until I downloaded HACS version.