Plex activity monitor problems (2019)

Hello, I have been googling (yepp i just said googling :slight_smile: ) around for hours, and cant for the love of the network gods get this to work in any shape or form.
Have any of you tried this https://www.home-assistant.io/components/sensor.plex/ and gotten it to work ?

Kind regards
DigiNorse

nope, added in all sorts and cant seem to find anything to do with my plex.

I have the following in my configuration.yaml file

discovery:

sensor:

PLEX Server Sensor

• platform: plex
    host: 192.168.1.15
    port: 32400
    name: ‘PLEX’
    username: ‘username’
    password: ‘password’
    server: PLEX
    token: bJk*******8y5EjkyCB
    ssl: false

media_player:

PLEX Media Player

entity_namespace: ‘plex’
    include_non_clients: true
    scan_interval: 5
    show_all_controls: true
    use_custom_entity_ids: true
    use_episode_art: true
    remove_unavailable_clients: true
    client_removal_interval: 600

I have the following in my plex.conf file

{
“192.168.1.15:32400”: {
“ssl”: false,
“token”: “bJko3*********5EjkyCB”,
“verify”: false
}
}

Then after all that nothing shows up along the lines of media_player.plex

Totally flummoxed

Yepp same here, I have tried just about all the different versions I have found in various forums, but still not gotten one to work. So if anyone have gotten this to work I would love to see the config.

configuration.yaml
media_player:

ip_address: 192.168.1.80
    token: ****
    entity_namespace: ‘plex’
    include_non_clients: false
    scan_interval: 5
    show_all_controls: false
    remove_unavailable_clients: false
    use_custom_entity_ids: true

sensors.yaml

host: 192.168.1.80
    name: Plex Server
    server: Plex RPi
    username: username
    password: password
    token: ****

all works fine

I suspect the issue is with the token, when you get it from the URL it is a temp token and it can change. Does anyway know a simple way of getting a permanent token ?

I take mine like said in this instruction and it not change - https://support.plex.tv/articles/204059436-finding-an-authentication-token-x-plex-token/

Interesting.

I do not have a sensors.yaml file and when i try to add it to the list

group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
sensor: !include sensors.yaml

I get an error saing

Error loading /config/configuration.yaml: mapping values are not allowed here
  in "/config/sensors.yaml", line 2, column 11

runnning hassio on raspberry pi 3B+

I’ve been attempting to set this up for a few days now.

Has anyone had any luck?

I’m a newbie, but I added
sensor:

Weather prediction

• platform: yr
  • platform: ring
    host: 192.168.86.71
    username: xxxxxxx
    password: xxxxxxxx
    to my Configuration.yaml and I get this [sensor.plex] 0 unit_of_measurement: Watching friendly_name: Plex and that gives me the card pictured

Not really what I was hoping for…

Chas

My Plex server monitor works. Well, it tells me how many people are using my plex server and the name of what their watching.

Sensors.yaml

#######################################
# Plex server
#-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
- platform: plex
  name: Plex
  host: 192.168.100.20
  username: !secret plex_username
  password: !secret plex_password

plex.conf

{
    "192.168.100.20:32400": {
        "ssl": false,
        "token": "1gNsiVhV6Wv2gU2S5fFG",
        "verify": false
    }
}

Make sure you use the IP address of the Plex host. Hostname will work but it does not do so reliably.

Now the Plex Media Player… never got it to work consistantly.

Thank you I got it working

Sorry if this has been discussed but struggle to figure this one out. I am trying to get a widget in HADashboard and on HA to show who is watching what on my plex server. On HA it shows how many are watching and if I click it I get what they are watching but would like a dedicated tile on showing this as well one for dashboard. Any help would be appreciated. Tom

1 Like

@trhessel
Check my answer on this one: Print all the attributes and values of Plex sensor

To everyone else: sorry I can’t contribute to the main question. I remember it was a total pain to set up but I didn’t document so I can’t go in to any detail. I can tell you that the Emby integration is better but I feel like there could be a win for Plex is someone created a new media player plugin that uses webhook as Webhook seems to work well.

Hi, my problem is different. I added a second Plex server to my account but hassio won’t see it. The first one works fine, but it doesn’t monitor the activity on the new one. Discovery is on, second plex server has the GDM option enabled, but hassio won’t show the popup it showed for the first server, and don’t know how to make it work.

The thing is the card I have for monitoring the activity only updates when there is activity in the first server of course, nothing with the second one. Any ideas?

Tks in advance

Can you give an example of what you had for the media player.

Im new to HA. It looks like the name matches the name.conf file? Im confused as to why you need the conf file, and why the token cant be a secret also?

What would this look like if you put it all in the yaml? Just seems a little wonky why we cant config the port/token all in the yaml.

Did you have to do anything special to make plex appear in the auto discovery? I cant seem to make it appear, but if I follow @Dixey config it will show.

I’ve also done it this way, all in the configuration.yaml file without the plex.conf file:

plex:
  host: 192.168.0.23
  token: "FGLSHYZR1wMGjzf7fD6G"
  verify_ssl: false
  media_player:
    show_all_controls: true

No, I just read somewhere else that HA only supports one server at this time. So, it seems there is nothing to do.:unamused:

Did you ever find a way to get a permanent token for Plex?

I see they have some documentation on it located here: https://forums.plex.tv/t/how-to-request-a-x-plex-token-token-for-your-app/84551

That, however, is above my abilities.

Everyone having trouble here, please try HA 0.100. Plex setup is now possible via the Integrations page which will automatically find your server details and obtain a new token for you.

It’s also now possible to add more than one server.

1 Like