Plex on Android TV

Hi Guys,

Could someone help me to understand if it is possible to use some Plex component (media player or sensor) if I don’t own my own Plex server but use a shared library on my android TV with Plex?
What I’m looking for is to see whether a movie type content is playing with Plex to enable some light automation.

Well, not so much help so far.
I made some tests and it seems it doesn’t work. Maybe someone knows if it is possible to check the status of Plex player directly, not Plex server? Or use some sort of Plex remote control?

My plex players show up e.g. media_player.plexlivingroom and shows as idle currently.

So looks like you can see the status of them.

Could you please provide some details? Do you use a remote library?

No I have a Plex server running on the same host as my HASS install.

The plex client is a dedicated RPI. I assume it would show up as a media player even if I didn’t have a server running, but haven’t tested that.

My Sony TV running Android TV also shows up as a media_player. Status currently ‘off’

Ok, thanks. My question was if it is possible to use it when you don’t have your own server but use a shared library.

The problem is that it doesn’t show up.

Well I was assuming the clients just get discovered on the network, regardless of whether they have a server or not.

Maybe it’s only finding my clients though because I’ve got the Plex component activated.