Plugwise core and custom_component

Nice! Enjoy using plugwise-beta :slight_smile:

Did you install it via HACS?

Yes, is there another option?

Ok great, then you will see any update we release, automatically.

Yes, the other option is installing manually, like you did with HACS. But then you don’t see when there’s an update so installed via HACS is the better option :slight_smile:

RELEASE Plugwise-beta v0.17.0

NEW Aug 2021 [0.17.0]

• Link to plugwise v0.12.0 Release Energy support and bugfixes ¡ plugwise/python-plugwise ¡ GitHub
  • Stick:
    • Feature: Add “Energy Consumption Today” sensor to allow adding devices to the new ‘Energy’ dashboard introduced in Home-Assistant 2021.8
    • Bugfix: Make energy consumption monitoring more reliable and possible fixes reported issues #149 & #157
  • Smile:
    • Implement the new sensor attributes needed to support the HA Core Energy dashboard
    • Correct the unit_of_measurement for cumulative energy sensors (Wh → kWh)
1 Like

RELEASE Plugwise-beta v0.17.5: Smile: fully support the Smile P1 legacy

The main changes are in the plugwise backend: python-plugwise/CHANGELOG.md at cb9b1d4153264f13bb5a6360aea1d6c92d60d6a1 ¡ plugwise/python-plugwise ¡ GitHub

I don’t have a plugwise yet and have some common questions about the integration which I was not able to found answerd anywhere before. I’m thinking about buying Adam to regulate my oil heating.

What is the advantage of using this integration instead of zigbee2mqtt?
If you have this integration, then decision about heating or not is done by home assistant?
Is it still necessary to have something like Anna or could you use any temperature sensor supported by home assistant to do the decision?
Has someone running this as main ‘switch’ for the central heating and individual regulators on each radiator in each room?
Do I need some smile gateway?

And a last one: Is there a better device to read and control a central heating connectable by OpenTherm in a Zigbee environment?

What is the advantage of using this integration instead of zigbee2mqtt?
Plugwise is not supported by zigbee2mqtt?

If you have this integration, then decision about heating or not is done by home assistant?
No, by the Adam.

Is it still necessary to have something like Anna or could you use any temperature sensor supported by home assistant to do the decision?
Yes you’ll need an Anna or Lisa or Jip as a temperature sensor for every room that you want to control the heating in. And Toms / Floors / Koen(= Plug) to regulate the hot water flow if that is applicable for your situation.

Has someone running this as main ‘switch’ for the central heating and individual regulators on each radiator in each room?
Yes I do, Anna in the living room with floor heating and a Plug to control the floor heating pump, a Lisa and a Tom in the bathroom upstairs.

Do I need some smile gateway?
No, the Adam is the smile gateway.

1 Like

@bmaehr I want to write some more words:

No, by the Adam. HA will be used to set/change the heating setpoint(s) that are used by the software that runs on the Adam. The functionality in HA is similar to the functionality of the Plugwise App.

1 Like

I’m searching more for a dumb adapter to OpenTherm where the decision about heating or not is done by home assistant.
The reason is because for a house the decisions are much more complex. For example no matter either if on the hallway the temperatur is between 16 and 20 degrees. But in the living room the temperature should not be below 20 degrees. So if on the hallway is below 17 degrees there is no reason to start the central heating but if the central heating is started because the living room is below 20 degrees the hallway radiator should also be opened.

Plugwise is not supported by zigbee2mqtt

Plugwise supports zigbee so I expected it would be possible to connect it through zigbee2mqtt

Maybe have a look at this OpenEnergyMonitor WiFi Thermostat - Home Assistant and this Generic Thermostat - Home Assistant

The last one is very generic. Search for generic thermostat on this community, I don’t think you’re the only one with this idea.

One more thing: as far as I know the Generic Thermostat is meant for controlling an on-off system. So there will be temperature over- and undershooting. If you buy an Adam, or any of the competing systems, your get much more intelligence: reach the setpoint at predefined times, outside temperature taken into account, self-learning resulting in optimized heating for your house/rooms, etc.

In the first place I’m searching for a peace of hardware connectable to home assistant being able to turn the central heating on and off by OpenTherm (of course it would be possible to manipulate the Adam “requested temperature” to achive this but that is a really ugly solution). Implementing a smart algorithm in home assistant for turing it on and off is the second step.

@bmaehr did you have had a look into the opentherm gateway integration with the OTGW device? It allows you to monitor the moment heating (central or the water boiler if it’s a dual heating system) is active and using this state to automate controlling something else.
Using this to control the heating itself you still need to (temporarily) override the set temperature but that’s more or less the way the OpenTherm protocol works.

1 Like

Hi all,
I am new to HA and trying to install a Plugwise USB Stick, but I am facing some problems. I installed the Plugwise Beta but when the program tries to connect to my USB stick it failes.
usb-stick failed
If I put the stick in a different USB port, the ‘ttyUSB0’ changes into ‘ttyUSB1’, so the stick is recognized, but the connection still failes.
Am I missing something? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
grz Roland

Hi Roland, see this the addon is unfortunately deprecated:

But what do you want to do with that usb stick ?

Which version of Plugwise-beta are you using?

Also, what detailed information is available in the HA LOGBOEK?

@Mwdouble, why are you pointing to a depreciated repo? The Plugwise-beta repo contains the latest code that supports the Stick. If there’s in bug in the latest code, we should fix that, don’t you think?

Hi Bouwe,

I started with v0.19, when that didn’t work I tried v0.18 and now I’m running v0.19.5-alpha3.
And for the HA logbook, I probably need a little more help. When I open the logbook (at the left side just above History I only see this:

Which is probably not what you are looking for.
Thanks.

I think I found some more usefull information under ‘Configuration - Logs’:

Yes, that is what I meant :slight_smile:
This is shown in the logs when you try to add the Stick via the Plugwise-beta integration?

@brefra please have a look as well.

super! :slight_smile:
Yes I just started up HA and tried to add the stick again via the Plugwise beta integration.