Pneumatic Tube Air Quality Sensor! 😊

I made this Air Quality / Climate sensor from a retired Pneumatic Tube for my partner, who saved it from going to the hospital bins at her work!

• It measures CO2, particulate matter (1, 2.5 and 10 µg/m³), temperature, and humidity
  • It makes various beeps and flashes when various air quality thresholds are exceeded
  • It has a number of different screens showing details of each measure (and happy/sad faces etc), which it automatically shows when an alert is triggered
  • It has a DND mode to silence it at night
  • It scans for our smart fitness bands via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and makes special beeping noises and welcomes when it sees we have arrived home (for fun)

• It has a 3d printed ‘cage’ which replaces the original transparent acrylic to help with sensor ventilation
  • It was supposed to be able to operate off battery for a while too, but it I discovered during implementation that the micro-controller won’t output 5V when on battery (only 3.3V), the PM2.5 and CO2 sensors need 5V, and I didn’t want to step up the voltage… so I just removed the 18650 battery.

Here’s some of the key parts. It’d aIl ESPHome on an ESP32 of course😉. I generally went with decent quality sensors rather than some of the cheaper options.

4 Likes

Nice project.

Wow good quality CO2 sensors are expensive. I was looking at the SCD40. Not much cheaper than the S8.

1 Like

I got one of these a while back mainly as I was interested in how crap it would be.

I was not disappointed, it had the crappiest accuracy you have ever seen.

Looked nice though;)

AU $13.02 42%OFF | Multifunctional 5in1 CO2 Meter Digital Temperature Humidity Tester Carbon Dioxide TVOC HCHO Detector Air Quality Monitor

The senseairs can be picked up for about 40AUD, so yes, expensive compared to what you might normally pay for sensors.
AU $36.96 7%OFF | new and original senseAir S8 004-0-0053 S8-0053 infrared CO2 carbon dioxide sensor S8 0053

1 Like