Pod Point EV Charger Integration

ok thank you, so if we made a sensor 1.2 would be rounded to 1000w - doesnt need to be granualr and happy to test :slight_smile:

This may be a little off-topic, but Iā€™ve noticed an ā€˜interestingā€™ behaviour exhibited by my Pod Point Solo 3.
For context, I had solar panels installed in July, and was unable to charge the car when the solar panels were producing electricity. I got in touch with PodPoint, and said they would ā€˜amend the charger settingsā€™. Shortly after I was able to charge during solar production. But this is where things get interesting. When production is at maximum (about 3.6kW), the charger tries not to consume more than that. When solar production falls, it starts charging at 7kW. That would not be a problem, except that I have no control over the speed of charge at all. I canā€™t charge full speed if solar production is at maximum :puzzled:

Hereā€™s an example:

Quite baffled that it is the default behaviour, without any explanation from PodPoint.

@mattrayner great integration! Thank you for all your efforts. Couple of months ago I got a Pod Point Solo3 installed but had to wait until last week for the car.
Iā€™ve been reading up on issues reported by others and think I have a handle on what can/canā€™t be shown in integration due to api limitations.
I have noticed that the ā€˜Completed Charge Timeā€™ isnā€™t accurately reflecting the Pod Point info. Any ideas if this is due to the API or something else? Am I correct in think Completed Charge Time is the Charge Duration?

Iā€™m having difficulty setting this up in HA

I have installed via HACS v0.4.2, restarted and then gone into Settings->Devices & Services and tried to add the pod-point integration.

I then get a:
Please wait, starting configuration wizard for Pod Point and after a while a 504 error:

Config flow could not be loaded: <html>
 <head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head>
 <body>
 <center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center>
 <hr><center>openresty</center>
 </body>
 </html>

For info, I am running the integration in a Docker on an ARM NAS box - Home Assistant 2022.11.2, Frontend 20221108.0 - latest

Iā€™m probably (not) doing something obvious.

I was doing something wrong - Using a reverse proxy from outside the local network was causing the error - Using a local IP address and http:// NOT https:// stopped the error - Iā€™ve now been waiting 5 minutes for the configuration wizard to start.

Hey @Townsmcp, so the total charge duration is based on individual charge times given by the pod point API. I know this duration involves rounding, but a 50% difference is far more than I was expecting. Iā€™ll take another look on my side

1 Like

@StephenMilner are you able to take a look at your HA logs? It might shed some light as to why its failing to initialize :slight_smile:

Thanks Matt.

The problem was 100% related to using HA via a reverse proxy. When I used the local network address I didnā€™t get the error message (which is an NGINX Reverse Proxy Error). The configuration wizard at that point was stuck, probably because I had tried it a number of times prior to that and got errors.

I restarted HA and the wizard worked a treat.

Thanks for the integration - Works great.

Hi Matt.

Similar issue for me - Pod-Point app shows last charge time as 1h47m the integration shows 45m08s

Anything I can do to help with this?

I have a question, was it plugged in for 1h47m, or longer? Trying to work out if the app is showing ā€˜plugged in timeā€™ vs time spent delivering power

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your efforts here.

I was hoping to use my HA dash to resolve a major usability issue with the pod point charger, unfortunately, despite contacting PodPoint multiple times with this feature request they donā€™t seem to want to implement it.

The issue is I have a schedule setup to only allow charge between 00:30 - 4:30 for cheap electricity. This works well because I can get home, plug in and forget about it. However sometimes during the day, I might need a top-up charge, when this occurs I have to open the app, disable all 7 daysā€™ worth of schedules, then plug in. After charging I need to remember to re-enable the schedules. This could be resolved via a ā€œcharge nowā€ button in the app but alasā€¦

I have setup two cards in my dash, one shows the status, the other is an entity card that allows you to toggle ā€œcharging allowedā€ which only shows up if the status is ā€œconnected-waiting-for-scheduleā€.

The idea being that I can plug in, then if I need to force an immediate charge click the button.

This works however it also resets all me schedules to 00:00 - 00:01, reading through this thread that is by design. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it necessary to reset the scheduled times? In my experience, the only thing I have to toggle in the pod point app is the ā€œschedule activeā€ bool (for all days) in order to force a charge.
  2. Is there any existing way to change the behaviour when it re-enabled schedules to have it send the scheduled times I want? Or is this possible?

Thanks

Hi Scott,

It sounds like youā€™re trying to use a ā€œhybridā€ implementation of this plugin by using your existing Pod Point scheduling along with this plugin to ā€œcharge on demandā€. Unfortunately, that wonā€™t work, and you need to be all or nothing, because of the way this plugin works.

You can very easily use HA to schedule your 00:30 to 04:30 charges instead of using the Pod Point app, which is exactly what Iā€™ve done, but I can also charge on demand too.

Hi Scott,
Dan is correct, the way the plugin is designed is that you can turn charging on or off regardless of the day.

I toyed with the ability to set schedules on a day by day basis but home assistant doesnā€™t have a way to do this at the integration level easily.

Potentially I may create a service to do this in the future but as Dan has said it seems most users are happy to go ā€˜full home assistantā€™.

Itā€™s worth noting that when turning the charge ā€˜onā€™ either by a schedule or clicking the button, thereā€™s an up-to 5 minute delay (a feature of pod point, apparently) so do the surprised if itā€™s not instant. I believe this is partly for throttling and also how the pod checks home

You know what, I didnā€™t even consider simply setting up automation in HA to manage the schedule, thatā€™s a much simpler approach and what I will do.

This is more likely a HA thing but I am seeing negative usage for my pop point on the built in Energy dashboard

With the value being what it was at midnight (10.5 kWh)
It goes up to 12.1 kWh at 7am and then drops to 0 when it is unplugged.
I would expect this to show up as 1.6 kWh.

I have just added the current energy sensor to the dashboard which is correct?

Hi @jameson_uk, try tracking the ā€˜totalā€™ sensor rather than the current one. The total is ever increasing whereas the current one will reset to 0 when you unplug. That should fix the issue :slight_smile:

To be clear, the issue you are seeing is that HA sees a ā€˜dropā€™ from 12.1 and then 0 (-12.1kwh of usage)

Which would make some sense but it is showing -10.5 even though the drop as you say is 12.1 to 0ā€¦ :confused:

The README on the repo does state to use the Current Charge Energy sensor which I guess is the current energy sensor. Will switch over the total one

Hi.

Thanks for this integration. I recently did the update to 0.5.0 5 Alpha via HACS (I think thatā€™s the correct update)

I now have 2 devices in the integration, both labelled the same, one of which reports the firmware versions. Iā€™m assuming this is the new one.

However, all my entities seem not to be working. I will delete the old device and reload to see if that improves matters.

Just updated to 1.0.0 and will re-set up the integration

Having set up again - some of the entities such as charge cost and charge kWh are no longer available.

Is there something I should be doing to re-instate these or are they now not included?

Have a look under Developer Tools / States ā€” theyā€™ve likely been renamed.

Example Lovelace code on the GitHub page has a typo:

- entity: sensor.psl_xxxxxx_last_complete_charge_cost

should read completed.

Also, the total charge seconds is wrong for me: showing 263,771s (just over 3 days) to deliver 7,972kWh, which is a rate of 109kW :exploding_head:. I did have a new unit fitted to replace my original Solo that packed up, so maybe itā€™s total energy and total time for the new one only. Iā€™m just ignoring the total time sensor ā€” recognise thereā€™s nothing the integration can do to fix that.

Checking it seems that Iā€™ve duplicate entries, at least thatā€™s what was reported, but Iā€™m not sure where to go looking for them.

Developer States only shows the 3 entities I have in the integration.

I also found this in the logs.

Logger: homeassistant.setup
Source: setup.py:338
First occurred: 11:58:30 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 11:58:30

Unable to prepare setup for platform pod_point.sensor: Platform not found (cannot import name ā€˜UnitOfTimeā€™ from ā€˜homeassistant.constā€™ (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/const.py)).