Pod Point EV Charger Integration

Hi,

Does anyone know how to / have you, integrated with a Pod Point EV charger or other similar brands sold in the UK?

Thanks.

Going to follow this as getting one installed next week for my EV.

I have seen there is public API, so hopefully someone cleverer than me can assist :slight_smile:

I think though we should be able to make web calls through HA or Node Red.

mb

1 Like

Where is the link to the API?

Here:

https://api.pod-point.com/docs/

I’d prefer local control, but if anyone succeeds in getting an API key form Pod Point I’d be interested. I’ve asked but no reply. My email, sent back in April to software at pod-point.com:

Nice, i had a quick peek and seems limited. Setting charge schedules might be enough, i was hoping to also track charge amounts but looks like they are related to paid charges.

Did someone else get this?

Yes, same here at the moment.

Looking at their API (via their npm packages) it seems it is very public charger focused.

I did notice they have an web app locally through the documentation - https://d3h256n3bzippp.cloudfront.net/DSCG-UK-CB-2-Solo-Smart-Charger-Connection-Guide-CS.pdf

So that would be interesting to look at (not got charger yet) although I suspect it is just network connection details.

I just had one fitted today, Fing says port 80 is exposed, but just seems to give you a page to change your wifi

1 Like

Yep mine was installed last week and I get the same.

May scan it with a web pen tester to see if there are any other pages exposed.

I tried this and couldn’t find anything.

Did you have any luck?

No, got a canned reply saying there was no public API and no plans for one. Unless someone can reverse engineer it from the app we are stuck

That’s interesting as Pod Point are part of the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (List of supported chargers).

And a requirement of that scheme is that OCPP or equivalent should be supported.

So my understanding of that is that Pod Point should support the OCPP API or offer an equivalent API.

I will email the Pod Point contact listed on the charger list regarding OCPP support and report back, I guess it may be the case customer support might not be aware of this functionality.

I think the pushback you will get is that it does have OCPP support but there is no requirement to make it public. (Probably under the guise of “Cybersecurity”) but good luck! Let us know how you get on. If enough of us complain, maybe they will do something.

Unfortunately no response so far, so I guess there won’t be one.

It’s a shame as I was considering getting a Pod Point, however I will probably go with Wallbox instead as they make access OCPP fairly straight forward.

Hi,
Sorry to jump in to this late, but having just waited 20 minutes for a taxi to get his last 2% in at a pod-point public charger I thought it’d be worth looking for an API.

I found the link to POD Point API v3.0 but it just spins a loading wheel, did any one manage to get any of the docs?

I’ve also found their git hub repo Pod Point · GitHub but there’s not much there either. There is a contact email address of [email protected] might be worth seeing if they have a dev there with interest in home automation :slight_smile:

I’m going to play with proxying the mobile app through my laptop to see if I can figure out the API that way, at this point all I want is some charging status that I can put in a rest command

Dan

Is any of this lot any help to you?

HA Forum EV Charger API’s

Thanks, that’s a big help. I had a bit of a play with postman yesterday but couldn’t get my creds to work.
I’ll have another go today as looking at that postman collection it feels like it’s on the right track.

I’ve also had a look at the web scraper for the location pages (e.g. Hank-Will | Westminster - Whitehall Place | Pod Point Network) which might have legs. I was hoping to see some API calls in the web page but it looks like it’s all processed on the back end.

This might just be postman and it’s less than fantastic update of variables. (When you change the variables for username & password you click save as expected. But often you then need to click reset all then save again to actually pull it through…)
It is possible to get the live status of every PUBLIC (not home ones don’t panic) pod point - i use this as part of a big tracker which attempts to work out the current loads on the grid imposed by public EV charging (currently 25MW from the top 5 charge networks.)

1 Like

Okay, I have managed to get some charge data from the PodPoint APIs using the Postman collection and interrogating some public NPM packages that PodPoint have released. Primarily @pod-point/api3-js - npm.

With some modification of the collection I have discovered that once autorised you can make a GET call to:

https://api.pod-point.com/v4/users/{{user_id}}/charges?perpage=all

Which is returning the following for a charge I did today at home:

{
    "charges": [
        {
            "id": ***,
            "kwh_used": 2.2,
            "duration": 66,
            "starts_at": "2022-02-14T09:45:32+00:00",
            "ends_at": "2022-02-14T10:51:40+00:00",
            "billing_event": {
                "id": null,
                "amount": null,
                "currency": null,
                "exchange_rate": 0,
                "presentment_amount": null,
                "presentment_currency": null
            },
            "location": {
                "home": true,
                "address": {
                    "business_name": ""
                },
                "timezone": "Europe/London"
            },
            "pod": {
                "id": ***
            },
            "energy_cost": 40
        },
}

From this you can get the energy burned in KWHs (rounded), energy_cost in (for me pence as I am GBP), also rounded. If I used 2.2kwh on my rate of 18.35p/kwh it would be 40.37 as well as start and end.

Using the location.home value you could filter the return to only show you charges you made at home, or not, depending on your preference.

This isn’t exactly EARTH SHATTERING, but feels like a start. I’m running through the other endpoints defined in the NPM package to see if I can get anything useful

1 Like