Polar plot of the Sun, Moon, a few planets, and the solstices

When I first loaded it it seemed to start causing the Authenticated custom_component crash… Certainly something is unhappy.

The default config uses a lot of CPU rendering all the constellations. If you’re on a Pi the CPU may not be keeping up between updates. Maybe try config option show_constellations: false ?

hmm… I’m using a NUC… only a Celeron one. I’ll let you know if that stabilizes it

Seems to work ok for me with constellations off:

It would be nice if it was rotated 180° (north up) and if it respected the card background theme setting.

1 Like

With my changes to manifest.json it is NO LONGER needed to download and install the prerequisites :slight_smile:
They are installed without any issues. The latest version of matplotlib installs without any compiling needed.

And, I’m running hassio in a Proxmox VM. Sorry about the confusion.

1 Like

Working fine on supervised on debian :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your changes.
But unfortunately I had to remove the addon, my CPU usage went from 5% to 50% after removal it went back to 5%.
Any advices are appreciated…

The documentation says that showing constellations is cpu intensive. Were you showing constellations?

What pi are you using?

I’m using NUC8i3BEH + Proxmox. True, I had constellations on, will try without later today. Thanks

Sorry I misread that you had a pi!

Yes my similarly powered nuc is struggling without even constellations.

Yeah the python-skyfield lib under the hood is super heavy when computing positions for some reason. There are a few other options that may help:

• I could make an alternative backend using Pysolar but that would only have the solstice lines and the sun (no moon or constellations possible). May be better than nothing for people on Pis and Nucs.

• Should put a warning in the docs about CPU usage. I’m running on a big beefy home server so load stays low.

Regarding the theme and northern hemisphere assumption, those are great suggestions. We probably really want a javascript frontend rather than the matplotlib one anyway moving forward.

I just pushed an upgrade to the system that has a new north_up configuration so you can put north_up: true in your config and that will flip over.

Theming support is a bit harder because the image is actually made in the backend. I made this issue to track progress on it but it’s a pretty big change.

1 Like

Today I tried again but i get a inactive picture. What does it mean?

What do you mean? The picture is not showing?

Please note, it might take a while until the picture pops up. Lots of calculations to do before the first output is ready. On my powerful server (2x 12-core) it takes about 15-20 seconds before the picture pops up.

And then it refreshes and you wait another 15-20 seconds before it’s back again… rinse and repeat…

You are right, it shows up after a while

perfect in debian 10 , chuwi larkbox and HA supervised. nice work!

1 Like

tripple legends how comes

This is strange I see the legend 3 times in the row with a differnt sorting. any idea?

2 Likes

*EDIT
SOLVED IN THIS LINK: Can't rotate image for my real nort positon.. · Issue #11 · partofthething/ha_skyfield · GitHub

I need some HELP, please!!!
How to rotate the position of the N to the E, like in this pic?

my config in cameras.yaml

- platform: ha_skyfield
   show_constellations: false
   north_up: true
   show_time: true
   show_legend: true
#   planet_list: true
1 Like

Legend issues should be fixed in picture showing 2 sets of planets in key · Issue #10 · partofthething/ha_skyfield · GitHub