Pool Sensor with ESP32

Hi.
I want to read PH, Chlorine and Temperatur from my Swimming Pool.
But i don´t want use a Raspi for this :slight_smile:
Has someone tried this with a ESP32 oder similar?

Hi @mimk97

Any details on which pool sensor you have, which protocol it uses, Bluetooth, RF, WiFi … ?

Or do you want to build your own with an ESP32?

Atlas Scientific has a kit solution or just the probes and carrier boards if you want to roll your own.

And it is supported in esphome :slight_smile:

do you have a link?
and how can i use them with ESP Home?

@nickrout @rjchu how did i miss this project. I took a look through Atlas Scientific website. Very cool kit and just what I have been looking for. I see the probes are all I2C so should be simple to set up in ESPHome. Time to do some more reading and ordering!

Is it possible with something Like this?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EwB8r3J

Possibly, but I see that horrid word “tuya”.

And if you buy the kit, it’s all connected up for you.

1 Like

It´s too expensive for me :frowning:

Take a look here Pool Monitor Device Yieryi BLE-YC01

Thanks nickrout. But i´m searching for a low cost Solution with Probe´s which i can mount in the Pipe :slight_smile:

I can see some cheap ph probes on aliexpress… which i presume are analogue and even one that is I2C, but the chlorine probes looks a bit more tricky and expensive. The alternatives make the Atlas Scientific kit look good value!

@JulianDH I’m not sure if it’s still on sale but I bought it a month or so ago and just haven’t gotten around to installing it though I’ve flashed it with esphome and confirmed that’s all good to go. I have a hose spigot on my pool plumbing that I plan to use for the input flow and a deadheaded vacuum line to the pool that the builder put in but I’ve never used that I’ll add another hose bib on for the output flow. This way when we have any periods below freezing (rare but happens) I can easily disconnect the whole works and store them as the sensors do not fair well in cold temps - fyi.

1 Like

Person A asks question.

Person B replies.

Person A redefines question.

Simply tiring.

I´ve ordered now:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005050891706.html

Test with local Tuya

Bought it! Installed the probes in my piping. It was actually easier than I expected using these tubing and clamps meant for a chlorinator . I made my own little section of pvc tubing capped at both ends but linked to the main setup with the tubing. It looks like it works fine, but I guess I won’t know until I get it wired up and connected to HomeAssistant.

But I am stuck on how to get it all working with homeassistant. I flashed it using HomeAssistant and it shows up there. But then I am completely lost on adding the i2c component and the sensors. Is it possible to walk me through it or show me your config file for your device?

There is a wise quote, “the poor man pays twice”. Basically it’s saying if you buy the cheap and nasty version of something, you will likely have to replace it and then be worse off financially than if you simply bought the decent (more expensive) version in the first place.

3 Likes

You need to flash esphome, set up with the ezo component for each sensor

Thanks. I was able to flash it, but I can’t seem to figure out what the address of each ezo component is. The website gives the following examples, but I am not sure where to find the address of each sensor. Also, the instructions tell me that I need i2c, but the lights on the LED seem to be blue already.

• platform: ezo
    id: ph_ezo
    address: 99
    unit_of_measurement: “pH”
    update_interval: 10s

• platform: ezo
    id: rtd_ezo
    name: “RTD Temperature”
    address: 102
    accuracy_decimals: 2
    unit_of_measurement: “°C”
    update_interval: 10s

I also added the following I2C component because it said it needed it, but there wasn’t any explanation on the website of where I get sda/scl values.

i2c:
sda: 21
scl: 22
scan: true
id: bus_a

It would be really helpful to see a working example from someone who also purchased the Atlas Pool kit. Any chance you could paste your config file here?