Portable rain drop sensor made with Xiaomi door sensor

And it will also detect when it rains magnets!

11 Likes

Is this any different than using the Water leak sensor like this? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4107951

I’ve tried it for a week or so and I’m not having good results. It’s sometimes slow to notify when it’s raining and sometimes it’s On for way too long after rain has stopped.

How long do you find it clears after rain? It might take a while to dry out?

Did you get anywhere with this?

It varies. Can take hours it seems.

Interesting project! but for curiosity someone with the same MH-RD module, tried to integrate it with a D1 mini with ESPHome?

1 Like

So after making a few very ugly enclosures, I wanted to start having nice looking ones. This project
(and a few others) triggered me to get a 3d printer and learn to do some 3d design. The closure is based on the one in the link (I assure you this makes it quite easy to get started).

I’m pretty happy with it for a first go.

Some other notes:

• Some say the PLA I’ve printed with isn’t waterproof. Let’s see. I’ve gone with a second layer of protection. I put black roofing silicone in a syringe for sealing the enclosure

• I had permanent false positives after I sealed the enclosure. I think the sealant on the inside of the enclosure that bridged the inside circuts was conductive enough to trigger it. I cut the circuit with a knife at the inside pins and the issue went away! That must have been it!

I can make the enclosure design availabe if anyone is interested.

unnamed (3) unnamed (1) unnamed (2)

Wouldn’t you be able to just use the Xiaomi water leakage sensor for this?

1 Like

This is my question also. :smile: Because with the leakage sensor you can skip the waterproof box.

Hi. any one could help me. I have made one of this raindrop sensor and I have configurated in ESP Home as Binary sensor but I just get On/Off repeatlly.

Thanks.

# Sensor de LLuvia
binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: 1
      inverted: True
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP 
    name: "rainDrop"
    filters:
     - delayed_off: 10ms

Don’t use gpio1 - see https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266-pinout-reference-gpios/

This was so simple to build. Thanks for this project!

I’ve found two problems with this solution:

1. morning dew - it’s getting wet so circuit is closed and it looks like raining - today it stayed wet from 11pm until 7am.
  2. quite long drying time

I’m going to solve second problem by tilt raindrop module a little bit to let raindrops slide to the edge. Some is going to stick to the module but it’s going to dry faster (I think). Maybe it will help a bit with first problem either.

I think the more expensive modules have a heater for the water sensor plate to eliminate condensation.

First problem still unsolved, but I think it’s not so important. It’s only wet during the night so I sleep anyway.

any progress with this? i already have the water leak sensor
i only need to buy a raindrop sensor now … want to test out this water leak sensor first , if not i can use maybe my spare D1 …
you have a link for your raindrop sensor?

I have bought this one but hadn’t a chance for the final assembling. It worked when I tested it, though.

ok, they all look the same
looking for a shop where i can buy a sensor + waterproof box together, maybe ALI :slight_smile:

3D printed a box for it.

1 Like

thnx, found a box also on ali :slight_smile:

Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!!

Only the clear time is a bit long. I’ll try to put it vertically, maybe that makes it clear faster; rain will reach it anyways to trigger. Let’s see :slight_smile: