Portable rain drop sensor made with Xiaomi door sensor

Could you share the link?

delivered today :slight_smile:

and

its from same shop

Ah, ok. I thought it’s a more specific case :slight_smile:

ok, attached that rain sensor to the xiaomi water leak sensor, this morning it started raining, and it was instant detected
now its dry for several hour, but its still in detected state … it doesnt get “dry” again? whats wrong? :slight_smile:

I’d test the output from the rain sensor with a voltmeter to see where the issue is.

Well, it seems a zigbee issue, when I place the sensor outside, the connection was just bad to my conbee… Probably because of the isolation in the walls…

I have now placed the xiaomi inside, and rainsensor that was attached outside… Works much better…

Are you saying you have extended the wires so that the rain sensor are far away from the xiaomi detector? If yes, how long is your wire? Wasn’t sure if the long will affect the sensitivity.

I want to try this project also but I’m wondering what is the battery life for the Xiaomi detector since it has to be put at outdoor.

i think its about 20 cm away, so the xiaomi is inside, the rain is outside
battery life, if i can compare to other xiaomi i have , its like 2 years maybe?

Thanks for the info. The battery life is decent if without direct sunlight. Since the raindrop detector is cheap, I’m thinking to buy few of them then wire them in serial to increase the detection area so as to increase the area of detection. Will start buying.

Yeah, but why not place the xiaomi inside? I have the raindrop at a window outside, no problem with those small cables to close the window

Hi! I’ve make one of those portable rain sensors, but I have the same problem as @mgrom
Has anyone found a solution to morning dew or humidity problem?

I want to set up some automations when the rain starts, (for example power off all the garden lights), I live near the sea so the humidity it’s so high, and the sensor is saying that is rainning most of the time.

If there’s no solution, do you know another way to check if it’s rainning? I’ve made a Scrapping from a lot of Meteo websites, but none are too reliable…

Thanks!

I don’t have the humidity issues, maybe because it’s on the second floor outside at the window

I have the same issue.
If you find any solution, please post. Will do the same!

Hi @acme!

After many unsuccessful attempts, I have managed to place the device in a waterproof box, and the sensor outside very inclined so that the drops slide off and dry faster.
It works quite well, at night it no longer detects rain.
Another thing I did was change the original battery for a new one, I don’t think it has anything to do with it … But it’s something to keep in mind.
I’m waiting for more rainny days to test it more.

Good luck!

I am trying to rebuild this project here, but what is unclear for me, is whether or not you guys (or girls) use the pcb of the sensor as well.

or just directly connect the two wire from the sensor itself to the xiaomi-part?

You don’t need that extra stuff just 2 wires to the xiaomi

2 Likes

I have another question: has anyone tried to modify one of the Sonoff Zigbee sensors to read pressure values on a line of your house central heating?

I have no idea how to approach it sns if it is possible.

It could probably we simplified a bit since in principle I only would need a ‘low pressure alarm’ on the system to detect loss of pressure/water in the system.

My heating system has an analogue pressure gauge, but I am looking for a solution to get pressure readings (or a low pressure notification) in the Zigbee (Sonoff) platfirm here at home to have alarm notifications on my mobile any time there is a pressure issue in my central heating system.

Does anyone have experience with this, or suggestions of sensor elements which can be coupled to a Sonoff Zigbee sensor?

Hi I also am trying to recreate this rain sensor
I have a HW-028 sensor HW-028 FC-37 Raindrop sensor module
and a GS-WDS07 Wireless Door Window Sensor
But I don’t get a reading when I put drops of tap water on it.
does it not work with ‘clean’ water, and it only works with rain water?
I also put the two wires directly in the water, but also no reading .

Has anyone tried something like this before?

The door sensors are on or off (ie binary). You won’t get a pressure reading. You could however get a pressure/no pressure reading.

The problem is a sensor to measure pressure - what pressures are involved?