Portainer v2.6.2 - unable to start containers

don’t use the home assistant portainer…just install it in Debian…I gave the steps a few posts back.

1 Like

I also did this… got rid of the addon and installed manually. Working great again.
Only shame is that it is no longer a menu item in home assistant now…

I’ve installed the version of alexbelgium repository and everything works again.

You can create an Iframe tab in Lovelace for it

Just add this to your YAML in the raw configuration editor

- title: Portainer
    panel: true
    cards:
      - type: iframe
        url: http://192.168.0.131:9000
        aspect_ratio: 100%

Only issue is if you want external access for it you need to configure a VPN or reverse proxy.

4 Likes

Same problem
I restored the previus add-on version 1.5.1 from an old backup and now works again

1 Like

Just done the same. got rid of the addon and installed portainer through docker run as I was having the same issue

How did you get the full screen?

It is in its own title " view tab", not within the main home page. Those titles are at the top in blue. Here’s some more info on configuring them.

If on a mobile device and doesn’t look right, you can try and play around with the aspect ratio as well.

The view cards at the top you mean? If so then we’re using the same views but mine is reduced in size.
set at 100% also

My other instance is full with them

Mine is full screen on several different devices. I’m thinking some other dashboard/lovelace setting is creating a conflict. Maybe starting a new thread for this could get some other ideas for a fix?

Apparently running additional containers is not supported by HA? I guess that’s unfortunate news to me. Is there a way to rollback versions (edit: n/m, I had a snapshot before updating and was able to rollback)?

I will definitely take a look, however, please note, this add-on is mainly useful/meant for debugging purposes. Running additional containers on a Home Assistant OS or Supervised system is not supported by Home Assistant.

It appears the only way to downgrade an addon is to restore an old snapshot/backup taken prior to upgrading it.

As this annoyed me way more than I thought, I cloned the version before the current one and integrated it to my Home Assistant Add-on Repository: https://github.com/MaxWinterstein/homeassistant-addons

Maybe this helps someone else too :v:

Good timing. I just ran into this problem and I just stumbled on your repo.

I uninstalled the original addon and then installed the addon from your repo. Got it started and running but, now none of the containers show in the endpoint. Looking at the main dashboard it shows the end point having 20 containers but going to the end point dashboard it shows zero containers and 20 images.

Any ideas how to fix?

Was already writing “read the freakin’ manual” when I doubled checked and saw frenk removed the statement about that. Lucky git never forgets:

By default all Home Assistant managed containers are hidden from Portainer. This is recommended since fooling around with Home Assistant managed containers can easily lead to a broken system.
Access to these containers can be gained by going into Portainer → Settings → Hidden containers. Then delete the listed hidden labels (io.hass.type labels). Only do this if you know what you’re doing!

Ah perfect thanks!!

As reported in Docker Pub about portainer/portainer, that portainer is outdated and you need to use portainer/portainer-ce instead of portainer

I installed portainer/portainer-ce via SSH & Web Terminal addon. First we need to turn off the Operating system Protection Mode, then restart the SSH & Web Terminal addon, this will allow us to install the container. If this is not done, we will receive a warning that you need to turn off the Operating system protection Mode.

Installation portainer/portainer-ce

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9000:9000 --name=portainer --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce

Текст на русском (Text in Russian)

Как сообщается в Docker Hub про portainer/portainer, что portainer устарел и нужно вместо portainer использовать portainer/portainer-ce

Я установил portainer/portainer-ce через аддон SSH & Web Terminal. Сперва надо выключить Режим защиты операционной системы, потом перезапустить аддон SSH & Web Terminal, это позволит нам установить контейнер. Если этого не сделать, то получим предупреждение о том, что нужно выключить Режим защиты операционной системы.

Установка portainer/portainer-ce

docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9000:9000 --name=portainer --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce

Do your instructions apply to the portainer addon running under HA OS?

The instructions explain how to use the SSH & Web Terminal add-on to gain high level access to your Hassio install, then use that to manually install the latest version of Portainer, so you can gain access to the newer versions.

There are two versions of SSH add-ons, one is official and gives you safe access, the other is a Home Assistant Community Add-on that give you total control. You can easily destroy your install if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Ok … not sure when this was edged in the architectural text but it seems that the supervised version of HA install does not allow any other software on your machine.
So there is no real need for the add on to have this feature back available to work with other containers other than those of HA.

Just confirmed by Franck : Deploying any container results in error "starting container with non-empty request body was deprecated since API v1.22 and removed in v1.24" · Issue #127 · hassio-addons/addon-portainer · GitHub

Although Franck will still take a look, what we can only applaud of course.

1 Like