Possibility to install Hass.io on and boot from external USB media on Raspberry Pi 3

I would love to be able to install Hass.io on an external USB drive and boot without an SD card.

Raspberry Pi 3 can boot from (some) USB mass storage devices. (Only model 3 can boot without SD cards.)

Support for USB booting in Resin OS is being discussed on their tracker.

Some folks are reporting success on the HA forums.

The process is unfortunately somewhat involved (You need to boot at least once from an SD card to set the appropriate configuration on the Rasperry Pi 3) and could maybe made easier by offering a special Hass.Io-build which has the USB boot parameters already set and with a different partition scheme.

(The thread formerly known as Github Issue #246)

Please implement this! I love being able to run Hassbian from USB (after enabling USB boot on the RPi3). It’s one of the few things I now miss with Hass.io but it’s a important feature.

I’ve moved this to Feature Requests so that people can vote on it.

3 Likes

where? link

here directly - at the top of the page

Please add my support for this!

Is there any new with this request?
It would be great to use usb drives (ssd, msata) with rpi, especially that rpi3b+ can already use them to boot.

Regards,
Tamás

+1 for this. I’m getting tired of having to restore to a fresh SD card every few months.

2 Likes

If I go to the feature requests page, I’m not even seeing this one listed. WHY NOT?

1 Like

How is this not at the top of the list for votes? It would be a game-changer for so many.

1 Like

Please! Do it! :pray:

You can… I believe Hassos now has USB boot support.

And Hass.io can be installed on top of Rasbian. And Rasbian supports USB boot.

I have my Pi 3 booting from a USB SSD and running Hass.io with no problems.

I was able to boot a Raspi3 from an external HD, but not a Hassio image.

As my Hassio is already running over SD, I need a smooth transition like an image of Hassio that boots up from HD and then restore my last backup…

Just follow the install instructions for Hass.io (the generic Linux install).

Works fine for me with Rasbian Lite from an SSD.

Thanks Philip, up and running (no config at all). Now starts the next battle but I’m steps forward!

Now I need to think how to migrate from one IP (bad one, not the desired one), to the new one that has planned is static, etc.

Sure it’s a nice adventure…

Rom

I’ve been there and done it before. And at the time I had many wifi devices running over MQTT that I had to re-code to go to the new IP.

It’s not a fun process but once it’s done it’s done. And once you’re happy with your fixed IP, stick with it! lol

Well…It’s done!

Not only is possible to boot Hassio from HD in a raspi3, it’s also possible to migrate from one raspi to another. You only need some patience… or maybe a lot of :wink:

Cheers!

Congratulations!

It is pretts straightforward.

And as long as you take regular backups the worst case is you’re only 30 minutes to being up and running again after a failure.