Possible to add Yeelight on Wifi NoT server?

Hello

Mission is to have a scene with apple tv and a yeelight - so i can press a button on my phone and music and lights come on :slight_smile:

Trying to setup yeelight on home assistant. I have

• Home assistant on Synology Nas with Hassio connected on my man LAN Wifi
  • Setup another network Wifi NoT (as recommended in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3SfeQTaaxw ) that i’m trying to connect my yeelight too

My Yeelight does connect to the app if I use a test network with internet. But won’t connect / sync with the app when i use Wifi NoT. Perhaps because Wifi NoT blocks the ports.

Does anyone know if:

1. it’s possible to connect yeelight to Wifi NoT to home assistant without enabling internet on WifiNot?
    My logic is i could enable internet on WifiNot - to try and connect and then disable - but then couldn’t that leak info to china and defeat the purpose of the Wifi Not in the first place>
  2. if yes, how?

Also wondering how to connect the yee light in general as the tutorial page - https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/yeelight/ - does’t make much sense. If anyone has a recommended guide or reading that would be a great help.

Thank you

Option 1.
Allow WAN access on NOT for your Yeelight during pairing.
Turn off WAN access after pairing is complete.

Option 2.
Hotspot a second phone with the same SSID and password as your “NoT” and connect your Yeelight to that.

After turning off your hotspot, your Yeelight will connect to your designated network.

wot …
Feel free to packet capture. I don’t believe the SSID or PSK are transmitted.
It would be an association between your user account on the app and the bulb that is going on.

Which part doesn’t make sense?
HA will automatically pick up mDNS messages from your Yeelight to automatically add the bulb in Integrations.
In your case, that won’t work as you’ve segregated your network through VLANing and seperating subnets, so you use the Manual steps doing the same configuration work for any other configuration.yaml entry.

Thanks @fanuch

Been excited to get to your feedback all week.

Managed to connect the Yeelight to the NoTWifi by disabling the NOTwifi firewall, allowing Yeelight app to have all permissions (exact location, local network access and HomeKit access). Seemed dodgy – don’t like this surveillance capitalism world of today. Anyway, I paired the Yeelight to the NoTWifi with the phone and then once connected, enabled LAN mode. Worked and could turn the light on/off etc. Then, I turned the NOTwifi firewall back on again. This prevented the yeelight app from working locally which was weird as I thought it was supposed to keep working locally even if web was offline… But perhaps not…

In the device info i got the Yeelight’s IP address, MAC address and Model.

Then went back to the Yeelight link - https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/yeelight/ - and tried to follow along and added the Yeelight code to my configuration.yaml file - ensuring to update my IP.

yeelight:
  devices:
    192.168.30.124:
      name: Living Room
      transition: 1000
      use_music_mode: true
      save_on_change: true
  custom_effects:
    - name: 'Fire Flicker'
      flow_params:
        count: 0
        transitions:
          - TemperatureTransition: [1900, 1000, 80]
          - TemperatureTransition: [1900, 2000, 60]
          - SleepTransition:       [1000]

Reset the Home Assistant server but the device didn’t show in Developer Tools > States > Current Entities (where i think it’s supposed to). But perhaps this is because the yeelight can only talk to the NoTWifi and not Homeassistant which is on my MainWifi. Trying to figure out how to get them to talk to each other.

Do you know of any guides for how to setup and manage devices when using a MainWifi and NoTwifi or what key skills or knowledge I need to resolve this?

If so that’d be very helpful. Currently fumbling around in the dark and reading into MQTT.

Thanks so much :pray:

I don’t believe I have seen that be a feature on Yeelights.

They work by constantly polling a server to get their updated states; with no internet access, they can’t update the servers where your app gets the information from.

If home assistant cannot reach the bulb over on 192.168.30.0/24 subnet then it won’t be able to poll for status or turn on the lights.

The yeelights do not speak via the MQTT protocol to HA at all. Read about MQTT but that’s for other devices.

It’s really straight forward. Allow a firewall rule between HA and your other WiFi (I’m not calling it NoT. No idea why that video was calling it NoT as it doesn’t even make sense lol)

You haven’t mentioned what router/firewall you have so I cannot give you a guide as setting up a specific rule will differ depending on provider and how you segmented your network.

Thanks @fanuch

I’m using a Unifi Dream Machine - https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine

Thanks for the advice. Will try and figure out how to make the right firewall rule between HA (mainWifi) and Yeelight(NoTwifi).
I though because of this tutorial – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3SfeQTaaxw – that perhaps the yeelight would already be able to talk to HA because of either the ‘allow established and related sessions’ or ‘allow NoT to MQTT’.

2nd thing - is the above code ok for connecting to the IP assuming the firewall devices are setup?
Or do i need to modify the IP address or something to use the subnet address - ie instead of 192.168.30.124: using something like 192.168.30.124/24

One the device is connected and it can talk i guess I need some way to connect and check the device is working - so was thinking from other videos it would show in Entities.