Possible to control Leviton (decora_wifi) devices directly instead of via cloud?

I recently bought a Leviton Decora Smart wifi switch to test. I posted a full review here, but the short version is that the design is great and it’s very fast to respond, but totally dependent on the cloud.

It appears the Home Assistant decora_smart component only sends commands through the Leviton service to the switch, instead of communicating on the local network. When I block the switch’s access to the WAN, commands from HA cease to work (I could still ping the switch from my local machine).

This is unlike the TP-Link HS100 smart plugs I have, which I added to Home Assistant using their local IP addresses and which will work without an Internet connection.

Do you think there’s any possibility of controlling the Leviton Wifi-based devices locally instead of through the cloud? How would I go about investigating this?

Want to bump this, even though I know it’s old.

I meant to buy Z-wave switches but I accidentally bought the WiFi ones… and installed them everywhere. No way I’m going back and taking them out and returning. But how can I control these locally only without accessing cloud?

EDIT: I bit the bullet… I’m replacing all my switches again. Ridiculous!