Possible to create Colour Picker by combining individual Red, Green and Blue channels?

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just started using HA and I have a lot of RGB lighting around the place. I have HA connected to my Vera to control my lights via Z-Wave. By linking the two I see all the individual colour controls (red, green and blue), as well as the Parent device, the RGB controller and the Master brightness. But these all show up as either switches or slider.

Is it possible in HA to combine my individual R G B channels and create a single colour selector with some sort of colour picking field?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

RGB Light Card could fit to your needs.

Many thanks! I’ve installed it, but I dont see the option on how to combine multiple lights to create one RGB selection? Can you point me to the correct configuration parameter to use?

I assumed that you can use your lights in a light group. Have I been wrong?

I thought a group would only group the lights together so they can be controlled together (same level etc)?

To clarify, I have for example these lights as separate entities,

Skylight - Red
Skylight - Green
SkyLight - Blue
Bedroom - Red
Bedroom - Green
Bedroom - Blue

I want to combine each colour for each area to create two lights basically called Skylight and Bedroom with a colour pickor for each one.

When you combine e.g. all 3 Skylights together as group in HA, you get this (in the more info dialog):

Is that what you have in mind?

Yes, exactly! But when I group mine together I only get a single slider that appears? No colour wheel appears.

Logically I am thinking there must be a way for me to tell HA which entity is the red, which one is the green etc?

Could you post the entity information under Developer Tools —> States —> first field („Set State“)?

Sure, thank you so much for your help!

Is this what you meant?

supported_color_modes:
  - brightness
entity_id:
  - light.skylight_red_380
  - light.skylight_green_381
  - light.skylight_blue_382
icon: mdi:lightbulb-group
friendly_name: Skylight
supported_features: 0

And here is the same for the blue channel

supported_color_modes:
  - brightness
Vera Device Id: 382
friendly_name: Skylight - Blue

There’s only brightness supported, so you won’t get the RGB info.

I’m not experienced with Vera. Could it be that you have to enable RGB control in Vera?

Yeah, but surely it would be quite simple in HA to create like a RGB group by assigning a entity to each colour channel? I mean I guess the reason I didnt find anything online before posting here is because there is no way right now. But making a colour pickor where you nominate which lights are your Red, Green and Blue and send the values to the correct one accordingly shouldn’t be too complicated to implement?

In Vera you do just that, you have the parent device, a master brightness and each individual colour as a separate entity. I have imported all of them into HA. But you have pointed me in the right direction, I see that the parent device says it is “hs” capable. And there I do get a colour wheel. But unfortunately the colour wheel doesnt work, it seems that the Brightness slider controls the WarmWhite channel and the colour pickor does nothing.

Guessing this is a bug in integration between HA and Vera maybe?

supported_color_modes:
  - hs
Vera Device Id: 377
friendly_name: Skylight - Parent

I’ve found this: Aeotec RGB bulb not seen as RGB from Vera controller

Yeah thats how I have it setup. But i did a bit more research and its because some sort of compatibility bug between my Fibaro RGB controller and the Vera gateway. The same issue occurs if I set the colour in Vera using the parent device. But the RGB add-on in Vera does work, however this add-on does not show up in HA as being colour capable.

So ideally I would need some add-on on in HA, similar to what I have in Vera, that just sends the RGB values to each individual device to create a colour. I can’t find anything like that available but if I have some time I will look into it, maybe I can create my own add-on to achieve something similar.

What a pity. Someone said that there’s at least one addon/custom component to control RGB, but I couldn’t find it, too.