Possible to use Elelabs RPi shield as repeater?

Good day to all.

New to HA here.

I run HA OS on a Odroid C2 and use the Skyconnect USB to manage some 8 sonoff sensors. Some sensors from upstairs intermittently break off and don’t send any data at all. Had to migrate my HA OS from RPi3 for better storage stability and ethernet speed.

I have an unused Elelabs shield and few old spare Raspberry Pi (2, 3 and zero w). I am trying to find out if it is possible to use these two as powered zigbee repeater.

Appreciate any help!

Technically yes if you code and compile such firmware for them yourself (as there are currently no firmware images available for Elelabs adapters), but practically it is not worth the bother IMHO as too much work for too little gain compared to buying better products that probably cost less than you get if you sell yours. See → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference and optimize for getting better range + coverage

More is also better so my advice it to have at least three dedicated Zigbee Router devices in a network.

Recommend follow → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference and optimize for getting better range + coverage

Personally, I suggest buying either “IKEA Tradfri Signal Repeater ” or the “Aeotec Range Extender Zi” which are products that work very well out-of-the-box and work better than non-dedicated Zigbee Router devices, while a much more powerful alternative is to make yourself some semi-DIY variant by flashing the correct Zigbee Router firmware to Zigbee Coordinator USB dongles and then using them as stand-alone Zigbee Signal Repeater devices in USB-chargers for power, like, for example, either the Sonoff ZBDongle-E (EFR32MG21 based) or the Sonoff ZBDongle-P (CC2652P) work great as dedicated stand-alone Zigbee Signal Repeaters with recommended firmware. Or if you want to a support community members then check out TubesZB Zigbee Router/Repeater as discussed here.

1 Like

Thanks @Hedda for helpful suggestions. Agree it now sounds painful trying to recycle the zigbee shield. I have now ordered Ikea repeater.