Power Cycle smart plug at midnight

I would like to make an automation that power cycles a certain smart plug at midnight every night, this will be connected to my modem and will help it reset itself so that it should always be running at optimum efficiency. However, I’m not sure how to do this nor what nodes to use?

Anyone have a template or guide to help?

Did you mean automation?

Ya, automation. I just don’t know the nodes well enough to know how to get started

OK. Have you got HA up and running yet with the smart-plug integrated?

Yep, got it all setup, here is my flow

Here is what BigTimer looks like

I think it should work, but since I’ve never done one of these before like this I would appreciate some guidance

Agh, node-red.

I wasn’t sure what you were referring to when you mention ‘nodes’ before and assumed you were completely knew to HA.

Sorry, but I can’t help - I only use the built in automation engine (albeit I do it in yaml).

Yet we are in the node red forum :slight_smile:
No worries, hopefully someone else can help, or it will just work.

Oh, man - I totally missed that - sorry for wasting your time.

No worries, you didn’t waste my time, if you had had the answer it would have worked, but hopefully someone else will.

I highly recommend Node Red, its so much easier to use and figure out where issues are imo

1 Like

It looks like it should work. Why do you have an On Offset of -13? Why not just use an On Time of 00:02?

I know some ISP’s (CenturyLink) recommend rebooting their router, depending on the age and health of the router, from monthly to daily to clear the cache. But nightly seems excessive if you are not noticing any issues.

I don’t see a way to type in a value for the ON time?

If I don’t, with the Verizon 5G Home Internet modem it will reset itself every 24 hours knocking out my internet for a good 5 minutes or so, would rather do that at night.

No need for BigTImer - Just use an Inject Node and set the ‘Repeat’ option to a specific time for evey day of the week.

I’ll give that a shot. I don’t remember why, but when I was setting up my original flows for some reason Inject didn’t work properly, but I can’t remember the reasoning behind why not…

Just wanted to report back that so far this flow seems to be doing the trick. Appreciate the help!