Power Monitoring Outlet

I am looking for hardware recommendations for a power monitoring outlet, either in the wall or plugin.

I am looking to create a simple notification to let me know when my washing machine is done it’s Cycle. I figured the easiest way to achieve this is with a smart plug with power monitoring. Since the washer plugs into a 15amp circuit I figure I don’t need anything fancy.

I want a local connection between the outlet and HA, ideally the internet wouldn’t be needed at all.

If you know of an easier way than power monitoring please share.

Oh, I am located in Canada, @Tinkerer kindly reminded me that my location might be helpful :slight_smile:

Do you have any experience with ESPhome? Do you have ZigBee or Z-Wave setup?

If you tell people the country you’re in then you’ll get more relevant recommendations :wink:

It easy to make your dishwasher or washing machine smart. You will need smart plug or smart outlet, some contact sensors and finger bot will make it automate.
I have knobs on my appliances so i use contact sensor on a knob to check did machine is on.
I created some drop down helpers for a machine to define statuses like ready, running, finished.
Then you create some automations to set status of a device. You can even turn them on using fingerbot.
Automations are something like this:

alias: Dishwasher status ready
description: ""
trigger:
  - type: opened
    platform: device
    device_id: cfa4a7b1191bd3f260d505419d34681a
    entity_id: binary_sensor.dishwasher_knob_contact
    domain: binary_sensor
condition:
  - condition: numeric_state
    entity_id: switch.kitchen_smart_plug
    attribute: power
    below: 1.9
action:
  - service: input_select.select_option
    data:
      option: Ready
    target:
      entity_id: input_select.dishwasher_status
mode: single

and if you want to start it use something like this

alias: Dishwasher start
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: "22:05:00"
condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: input_select.dishwasher_status
    state: Ready
action:
  - service: switch.turn_on
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: switch.dishwasher_switch
mode: single

I’ve not used ESPHome, I’ve used Tasmota in the past but I’m not against using ESPHome, I’ve looked at it a few times to replace Tasmota but I’ve never taken that step

A number of people will campaign for something that is ESPhome friendly, but, if you’re in the US, Amazon has the Kasa EP25s on sale for second prime day. It’s hard to beat 4 plugs for $32. They have a cloud option, but it’s only required for using the Kasa app (although I do think it’s required for initial setup). They function just fine locally with HA and having internet blocked to them.

I have some of these Athom plugs and they’re pretty solid.

Indeed, if you own your plug (for example runnig esphome) it is even possible to do this without fiddling with automations or templates in HA :muscle:

1 Like

I have zigbee plugs and outlets as I need them to act as a routers for a zigbee network. I saw automations and template feature in esphome and its really neat. Don’t use it as I’m in learning process about epshome. Currently buying accessories for building my own sensors.

I wish I could have gotten those. In Canada I could only find the Kasa Matter plugs and I do not have a Matter hub device so they were of no use to me.
I did find some Sonoff S31 outlets that I can flash with Tasmota or ESPHome so that’s good, also got a lower price for Prime Days.

1 Like