Powered Zwave Devices Marked as Dead

Oh really? I thought that XML file was just a cache, so if HA is overwriting it, then I’m guessing OZW has its own cache of the settings from the stick or something.

Where is your options.xml file?

It’s in /pi/openzwave, where I’ve sent my Network Key. However I did just find another options.xml file under /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/, without a network key set. So I’m wondering if that’s the root cause of my problems. Haven’t had the chance to play around in there yet. But I will update when I do

I’d also try add a copy of it to your Home Assistant config directory, or the directory you defined in the zwave settings in configuration.yaml.

Make sure all options.xml files are the same, and restart HASS. Surely one of them will be used, ans as they’re all the same should use the correct network key.

Thanks! @philhawthorne. I will post an update when I test it out. How has your zwave been working? Has it stablized?

It’s definitely improved.

I have a plugin module plugged into an AC wall heater in the guest bedroom. Couple of nights ago, the heater remained on all night, even though Home Assistant reported it was able to turn the heater off. So that was a shame.

Apart from that, all the other plugin modules have been rock solid so far. Fingers crossed that continues.

Update: Was able to change the options.xml file in /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/ using sudo leafpad. Saved the file and restarted HA, so far so good. The Network Key seems to have been accepted and all the nodes are responding. Fingers crossed!

Good luck!

@philhawthorne @tc23 have you had an improvement in stability over the past week? I’m still plagued with the dead node issue, i should note I only have one z-wave component on my network if that has any bearing on anything

Yeah since adding a network key, I have seen a great improvement. Haven’t seen any dead nodes for over a week

@beanian I am still having trouble (to be fair I think my current trouble is because I reset my Gen5). I too have one ZWave powered device, my other is a battery node and doesn’t route the message. Glad to hear that it has helped @philhawthorne though

Just an update: I switched from powered to using batteries, reset both the controller and the multisensor and it has been rock solid now for a full week. I’m not using a network key.
I know this isnt really a solution (especially if batteries are not an option) but just thought I’d share.

Hi Mate,

I am having a similar problem with mine where mine just keep’s sleeping in OZW is this how your reacts? I have battery’s in mine but just doesn’t seem to detect motion I am not sure If this is my script error currently or my sensor setup.

I tried to follow the network key process but It never changed to secure.

Thanks

Mike

I have found my battery powered motion sensor to have limited range. My sensor would detect motion, but the message wasn’t able to reach the controller. Since changing the location of the controller, coupled with the network key, my ZWave issues have disappeared.

@MikeCranium when you tried to add the device in OZWCP, did you remove the motion sensor first and then try and re-include it using Add Device (Secure)? That was the process that I used and it worked no problem

Hi Buddy,

Yes that’s exactly what I did and also un-commented the options file but it hasn’t come up with it being secure. Actually the log said it failed if I remember correctly.

I know my config file is all off at the moment to get it detecting so I am working on that as we speak to make sure that is 100% first before I do more with my sensor.

Thanks

Oh your OZW logins saying failed to secure? If that’s the case, I do remember there was an additional options.xml that I added the security key too. I think it was in the root folder

(EDIT SOLVED)

Hi, i’m sorry to drag this old thread back up. But i’ve encountered this problem to.

I had to reinstall my home-assistant device. The Fibaro wall plug i’m trying to use worked just fine the first time around. Now when i’m adding it it marks as dead almost instant. I have resetted it multiple times. Same result each time. I have added the security tag to every options.xml that I can find. But nothing works. Any idea?

Other devices (battery powered) works just fine. I will try another wall plug soon though

The log can be found here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/575059/log.txt

EDIT: well it seems to be a fibaro problem. I’ve tried one aeotec smart switch v5 which work. But I’ve tried another fibaro wall plug which doesn’t work.

EDIT2: Both fibaro plugs works flawless in openhab… This is really bad I think. I’ve put a lot of effort in to transition to home assistant from openhab, but this will stop all my plans since most of my devices are fibaro wall plugs :frowning:

EDIT3: Well now I feel kind of dumb. I moved the fibaro wall plug a bit further away and it now works. It’s pretty strange since it worked on this spot before, it’s pretty close, I can pair it on this spot and the aeotec works on this spot (but it most probably has a better antenna). But now it works all fine and I am able to work around it. Lesson learned :stuck_out_tongue:

I had similar issues with a cluster of GE smart switches and window sensors on the side of my house opposite the Zwave stick. They would randomly be marked dead anywhere from 30 seconds to hours after they were added.

The issue turned out to be range apparently. I added a Aeotec home energy monitor that just happened to be located right in the middle between this cluster of devices and the Zwave stick location. This solved the problem immediately. Looking at the network map I could see that all of the far side devices started routing through the energy monitor to reach the z-stick. I eventually added some zwave bulbs to the mix in this “dead space”. This added some more routes for far away devices to route through.

I want to chime in for anyone in the future having similar problems. For me the problem came down to signal strength and node placement.

I just started using z-wave with an Aeotec Z-Stick (gen 5) and a couple GE light switches (12727 and 12729). The switches kept being marked as dead nodes. My z-stick was in my downstairs office, plugged into my raspberry pi 3. The pi was on a high shelf and was almost directly underneath the location of one of the switches in the room upstairs. But apparently the signal wasn’t strong enough through the wood frame floor.

I moved the pi upstairs and both switches started responding reliably. One switch is only a couple feet away from the z-stick, the other is in the room next door, about 20 feet away through a wall. I might get another z-wave light switch to place downstairs near where the pi used to be and see if that helps bridge the gap so I can return the pi to it’s previous location.

But at this point, I’m not impressed with z-wave signal strength. I don’t know if it’s the z-stick or the GE switches. For comparison, I have a cheap TP-link wifi plug that also works with Home Assistant and it was super easy to get working and works very reliably. If I can find wifi light switches to use in place of the z-wave switches, I might do so (as long as they work without an external internet connection).

Yeah I have to agree here.

Now that I’ve added more z-wave devices to my setup, I’m not using a network secure key on my network anymore, and have not run into any issues of powered z-wave nodes marking themselves as dead. I’m guessing the more devices on your z-wave network, the more reliable it becomes.

1 Like

If you are using locks (Schlage or Yale) you need the secure key, without it you cannot lock and unlock the locks from home assistant. I agree that by having more z-wave devices your network becomes more reliable, since is a mesh network. I had the problem with my lock being dead and I had to remove the batteries and put them back again, so far it has happened once, I keep watching :slight_smile:

3 Likes