Pre-provisioning caused inability to securely connect Z-Wave device

I have five ZCOMBO Smoke/CO Alarms. The first one, I scanned the QR Code and typed in all the numbers. HA added a record under the Zooz 700 S2 Z-Wave Controller for a “Provisioned Device” however it never connected.

For the second Alarm, I didn’t enter the QR code/SmartStart pre-provisioning, and just attached it the traditional way. Everything showed up perfectly and Z-Wave Info reports it as “Highest security: S2 Authenticated.” Super!

Return to the first Alarm. I figure let’s start over. I “Unprovision” the device from /config/zwave_js/provisioned and try reconnecting it fresh. It finally shows up in HA, but shows an error that it wasn’t securely attached. Info says “Highest security: None”

I’ve tried several different ways/orders of operations, including re-adding the DSK after the “insecure” pairing. Whatever I do via the UI, I cannot get this Alarm to connect as the other four now have seamlessly, it seems all because the QR code was pre-provisioned and removed before the device was added to HA.

Is there a way to mend this in the backend?

Update - It looks like I resolved this by resetting the ZCOMBO.
Hold down the power button while sliding the batteries in. Continue to hold the power button for 10+ seconds, after which the alarm has a long beep.
The reset is meant to remove it from the network. However, what I observed in HA is it immediately recognized it as a new node, which showed it is “S2 Authenticated”. The original node remained, and both nodes reported a subsequent test.
I deleted the original “insecure” node. The new node remains and looks like the other four. All good.

Leaving this thread in case someone else encounters the same issue.