Precipitation in total for today and for tomorrow ? for garden irrigation

I tried integrating rain forecast for today and for tomorrow with no success.

I would like to start the garden irrigation only, if today was less than 0.3 mm rainfall in total and tomorrow the forecast is below 0.3mm (in total) for the whole day.
Even better, if the “chance of rain” ist high for tomorrow and more than 0.3 mm rainfall.

So far the irrigation automation works fine (using sonoff 4ch Pro wifi relays), but I cant stop it from watering, if it is not necessary.

I tried so far:

• Openweathermap
    There is a forecast in the weather integration (card), but I can not use it as a condition in automation
  • me.to
  • weatherunderground (only works wit weather station)
  • yr
  • Darksky is said to be no longer working.

Any help is heartily appreciated.

1 Like

Look at Smartweather for todays rainfall.

And weatherAPI for tomorrows forecast and liklihood.

This is all constructed from WeatherAPI but I use SmartWeather in my irrigation package

Hi kloog and thank you for the Information.

Onestly that does not really help me, which may be on me.

What exactly do you mean with Smartweather and WeatgerAPI?
I tried to google those ans got confused.

Furthermore I struggle to get the values out of the forecast cards into senesorvalues, which I can use for automation to define conditions (if/then).

OWM does deliver rain forecast, my Problem is that the value is not a sensor, so I can not use it in the automation. (see jpg)

Sorry for beeing slow on the uptake.

Greetings from Germany, JHWas.

No problem. I think I provided the bear minimum information :wink:

For SmartWeather you can look here to see if there are any weather stations around you. If not then it is no use to you… But if there are then you can get an api key from the website and create a REST sensor to receive the data. There is a Smartweather integration available on HACS but I am not sure how much rainfall info it provides.

(There is another integration for Weatherbit in HACS which is very good but again if it doesn’t have the info you want you can get an api key from there too)

For WeatherAPI look here. There is no integration for this but again you can get an api key form the website and use REST Sensors but you will have to dig around a bit to find what you want as there is a ton of data available.

I hope that helps (more than my last answer!)