Pretty Please help with ZHA and Nortek HUSBZB-1 (Z-Wave & Zigbee USB Adapter)

Hey Guys

I really need some help please. I have at this for weeks, the wife is gonna kill me soon if this keeps up. I am really struggling to keep things moving along and working,.I had a Deconz USB stick. In fact I had two. All was well with the second one when it did what the first did and devices just slowly started dropping off. Restarted everything many times, Plugged and unplugged things, waited for hours for the devices to come back, nothing!

So I got the HUSBZB-1 stick and plugged that it. After a little trail and error got it to the pint we are not that in the logs I get this. I have googled, read the forums etc and cannot get the errors to go away.

Please, pretty please help! I currently having to resort to turn the lights on with an old school switch!

PS if someone can tell me how Bellows and Zigpy install I would appreciate it. I cannot seem to find an install guide.

Running Ubuntu (I know nothing about!) and HassIO version 91.4. All have been installed since version 90.

Here are the errors

Error setting up entry /dev/ttyUSB1 for zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/config_entries.py”, line 303, in async_setup
result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zha/init.py”, line 113, in async_setup_entry
await zha_gateway.async_initialize(config_entry)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py”, line 91, in async_initialize
await self.application_controller.startup(auto_form=True)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py”, line 102, in startup
await self.initialize()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py”, line 53, in initialize
await e.reset()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/ezsp.py”, line 54, in reset
await self._gw.reset()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 423, in wait_for
raise futures.TimeoutError()
concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError

the first thing to check is that your usb stick is actually at that path.

ls -l /dev/serial/by-id

should give you an output that tells you what the path of the USB associated with it’s id. It should look something like this:

Hi Finity

Thanks so much for replying. Sure is.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 22 20:21 usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_61201F5F-if00-port0 -> …/…/ttyUSB0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 22 20:21 usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_61201F5F-if01-port0 -> …/…/ttyUSB1

OK.

then try this command:

udevadm info -a -n /dev/ttyACM0 | grep '{interface}' | head -n1

the result should be:

ex

Oh, yes, and Hi! :wave: :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks again finity. I noticed that you had ttyacm0. I realised that was incorrect. I corrected and got.

PS it was the wife’s idea to call it Homer! :rofl:

1 Like

Have you added your homeassistant user to the dialout group?

I know you have to do that for regular non-hassio HA installed in docker on Debian/Ubuntu so I assume you have to do that on hassio as well.

Hi. finity

Thanks again for the help mate :slight_smile: I have enabled all users. unplugged and re-plugged the USB and still not go.

Had a look in the Hassio logs and exactly the same issue.

Any other ideas guys> Looks like it;s connected correctly. Same errors

Error setting up entry /dev/ttyUSB1 for zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/config_entries.py”, line 303, in async_setup
result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zha/ init .py”, line 113, in async_setup_entry
await zha_gateway.async_initialize(config_entry)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py”, line 91, in async_initialize
await self.application_controller.startup(auto_form=True)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py”, line 102, in startup
await self.initialize()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py”, line 53, in initialize
await e.reset()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bellows/ezsp.py”, line 54, in reset
await self._gw.reset()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 423, in wait_for
raise futures.TimeoutError()
concurrent.futures._base.TimeoutError

I am getting the same error. I have 2 of the HUSBZB-1. I did have one of them work for 1 day and was able to pair with a Sengled light. But on a restart of HASS, I lost any zigbee from the dongle. Zwave works fine. I have read that the zigbee radio is suspect on these devices and several people talk about swapping them out until you find a good one… doesn’t seem like a good solution to me.

Anybody have any other Zigbee USB dongles that work reliably?

I’m running HASS.io on a Intel NUC, with debian/ docker.

Thanks

I was unable to make mine work. Gave up. I went back to a Conbee.

sorry i couldn’t help you make it work.

it makes no sense that it wouldn’t work tho. mine has worked since day one. strange…

I really appreciate the help anyway :slight_smile:

Anyone figure anything out for this? I didn’t have the issue until I updated from 92.0 to 92.2

I submitted an issue on github for this.

From the GitHub ticket it looks like the issue was resolved by disabling/uninstalling the modem manager service. I had the same issue on my dockerized Ubuntu install and that fixed it after a restart.

For anyone that comes across this, I recently installed HUSBZB-1 adapter and it has been running great on 0.112.2. This is what I have in config.yaml

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB1
  network_key: "YOUR OWN NETWORK KEY (OPTIONAL)"
zha:
  database_path: /config/zigbee.db

I came across this page (and others) trying to figure out how to configure this. Turns out that if you install the USB after HA has started you need to restart HA (I did a full reboot) first. Once I did this, things just showed up in the drop down as expected and worked fine.