Pro/Cons of hass.io on Rasberry Pi 3

not true. I think this is a problem that only you have… I have happily upgraded many times simply by clicking the upgrade button under ‘advanced settings’.

I think the wording is poor. It should probably say at least Raspbian Lite.

HA will run fine on the full version, it just isn’t necessary.

This just isn’t true. You are the only person complaining about this. I’ve done the 2 upgrades available to me since I went hassio with no issues like most everyone else.

gpbenton: Thank you for the clarification.

I would suggest hass.io if you want something easy at the cost of functionality. If you enjoy learning and creating and want to use your Rpi3 to its fullest, I would go with just HA or HA in docker or virtual env. (I personally don’t see a lot of need for virtual environment either as I have never had a issue where I needed to start new.)

On my Rpi, I hold many python or php programs what I call upon during the day through crontabs or HA. An example would be getting the long and lat of a device tracker and finding the cross street names of that location and put those sreet names into a HA sensor.

Also, I run programs such as openvpn that serves my home network and is very well documented. I tried to get openvpn on my High Sierra Mac and it was a terrible pain that I gave up on.

Hey @RobDYI, why don’t you use the following component? Works good for me…

Google Geocode Custom Component - GPS to Street Address

Great, I’ll give it try when my current setup breaks, I’ve been using my current setup for 3 years with sosumi so I don’t want to mess with it. Thanks

Can you provide some more details on how you use this in HA? Sounds interesting…

This is absolutely true. FIVE reflashes with the latest version, next version comes out, cannot upgrade. It is a real problem and it’s really annoying.

1 Like

I just cobbled together a bunch of php scripts into one that do the following as a shell command in HA.

1. Find my iphones lat and long using sosumi
  2. convert that into cross street names
  3. post those using mqtt so HA has readable names
  4. post the long and lat into a sql database with timestamp

This creates a push location finder for your iphone that you can automate. I request iphone location only when not in a zone and is based on time of day. I see no negative battery drain using this method but I don’t use it to notify when I arrive home.

I use google maps api to create a map with markers based on the sql database points so I can track on a map where devices go throughout the day. (fun but I don’t really use it very often)

I totally agree that there’s something broken regarding updates and there’s no log messages to help figure it out. I haven’t been able to upgrade for the last three updates!

1 Like

I would try a different SD card. I know when I first started with Hass it wouldn’t boot after loading the image onto a particular SD card even after multiple attempts. I tried a different card and it worked straight away and has been great ever since

It’s only you - no one else has this problem and to sledge hassio and make out it’s a common problem they refuse to correct is wrong!

1 Like

There are reports of at least 3 other people on these boards complaining about it. So knock it off, you’re being very rude.

You’re the one being rude disparaging FREE software that the vast majority have no issue with in a very nasty way.

2 Likes
  1. First, I would say that valid criticism of software, even if it’s free is necessary to improve the software. As a developer myself for non-free software I welcome peer review and criticism as healthy.

2. Even if the memory card is the culprit, it would be nice if the system could give us an indication of the fault. As it stands now, there’s absolutely no feedback.

Could someone shine in and let us know how to verify the integrity of the memory card from within hass.io?

I completely agree. There’s a line between this and just being nasty and slamming software/making out it’s a problem everyone has and the devs are refusing to fix it.

I’m not saying it’s perfect and can’t be improved but how about owning your own problems and showing a little gratitude?

It’s pretty amazing what volunteers have been able to accomplish with HA, no question. I’m grateful. I do invest a considerable amount of my time making the system work. I spend hours and hours chasing down issues and I have given back and contributed to the forums. With that said, there are a few things that I think could be done better. One thing that bothers me is the terrible Nest thermostat component that doesn’t work correctly with heat and cold settings. The Nest component has never worked correctly, but developers add tens of new devices it seems every week. How about getting some of the basic components correct? Not being a Python developer, am I really supposed to roll up my sleeves and debug this component in order to have a say in the matter or is it OK to voice my opinion?

It’s totally ok of course. If it doesn’t meet your needs then don’t use it. Your complaint is totally different to the complaint I was commenting on. Your attitude is also completely different :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you sure you are trying to upgrade from the hassio tan and not the overview tab? The upgrade icon on the state’s page will do nothing. When the upgrade is available for hassio it will appear in the hassio tab.