Problem after updating to Home assistant 8.1 using truenas plugin

Hi iam having update problems, maybe someone can help.
After updating home assistant to the latest version (2022.8) my home assistant isn’t starting anymore.
I have always used Hass Core on my NASS server using the plugin available at the Truenas community plugins.

When looking at the logs after the update:

Component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant
2022-08-06 10:18:05.823 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.auth.providers] Unable to load auth provider homeassistant: Shared object “libffi.so.7” not found, required by “_cffi_backend.cpython-39.so”
2022-08-06 10:18:05.823 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Home Assistant core failed to initialize. Further initialization aborted
2022-08-06 10:18:05.823 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Unable to set up core integrations. Activating safe mode

It seems that a shared object “libffi.so.7” isnt available anymore. Searching the forums i did found soms similar topics, but none with a good solution for me. Trying to start with a clean hass install using the plugin in a new jail results in the same problem.

Did made a backup in the Home assistant UI, but now i dont know how to roll back to a previous version of hass using the plugin homeassistant core service (Home · tprelog/iocage-homeassistant Wiki · GitHub)

Does anyone have a solution for my problem. Many thanks!!!

Hi @michaeldegraafleiden,

Sorry for the trouble… Seems like a few users have hit this issue recently.

Can you please say which version of TrueNAS you are using and what is the version of jail HA is running in?

Some users have been successful just rebuilding the Home Assistant virtualenv inside the existing jail

iocage console $JAIL_NAME
# Press 0 to exit the console menu
service homeassistant stop
service homeassistant reinstall homeassistant
service homeassistant start

When you make a backup in the Home Assistant UI, it’s just a zip file. While using this plugin on TrueNAS CORE, you can also take zfs snapshots before making an update. Snapshots are not a backups that can be restored to a new jail but they can make rolling back from a failed update much easier.

Also keep in mind, as long as you do not destroy your plugin, the configuration can still be recovered even if the jail itself fails to start. Best practice would suggest you move your configuration to a separate dataset

When did you last try a clean install?

On Wednesday, the HA 2022.8.0 release added Bluetooth which is unsupported on TrueNAS - I had to modify the ‘default_config’ to omit it. - While the changes are fine for an existing plugin, it broke the clean install for a few days. I didn’t get it working again until yesterday.

Maybe you tried to reinstall the plugin while it was broke and could have better luck if you try again.

Hi Troy,

Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately, i just tried to reinstall the plugin again in a new jail, but it does not work. It installs the plugin but after that, it does not startup and in the log file there are multiple errors. So the plugin does not seem to work at the moment!

At the moment i’am running TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1, and the jail in which the broken HASS is (not) running is off version 12.2-RELEASE-p15 if i understand you correctly.

Also when trying to do as you say, when trying to reinstall in the virtualenv is now says:

/usr/locl/etc/rc.d/homeassistant: ERROR: /usr/local/share/homeassisant not found

I think this is the problem – Jails should be using 12.3-RELEASE now…

Give me a minute, I have a VM starting now - I’ll have a look

Yea… stupid bug I never got around to fixing. You can get around it like this

rm -r /usr/local/share/homeassisant
service homeassistant install homeassistant

But I don’t think it’ll work until we get the jail release updated

EDIT – The wheels are taking foreeeveeeeeeerrrrrrrrr to build.

EDIT 2

Yep plugin should be using 12.3-RELEASE-p5

However I did just realize that I had only pushed the Bluetooth fixes for TrueNAS 13. I’ve corrected that now and I’m retesting the install.

Thank you again for your helping me!

1 Like

Ok, confirmed a clean install is working for TrueNAS 12 again.

I think to start, we need to do 2 things…

First, on your TrueNAS host (not inside a jail) fetch the 12.3-RELEASE - You’ll need to select 0 for that

iocage fetch

[0] 12.3-RELEASE
[1] 13.0-RELEASE
[2] 13.1-RELEASE

Type the number of the desired RELEASE
Press [Enter] to fetch the default selection: (12.2-RELEASE)
Type EXIT to quit:  0

Next, you should refresh the community plugin index to ensure you’re using the latest plugin manifest

Now we should be ready to move forward :crossed_fingers:

Do you want to try updating your existing plugin or trying a clean install and restore your configuration?

Honestly updates to new releases are hit and miss. I was successful updating a test plugin from 12.2 all the way to 13.1 but it took almost 4 hours, while a clean install and restoring the configuration only took about 45 min.

Hi Troy,

i just installed a clean one and it worked! Thank you so much!

In the future i will make a snapshot like you said earlier!

Thanks you very much!

1 Like