Problem with New Nest Cam

@mikehaguy and others: New Home Assistant release is out today supporting battery cameras.
Let me know how it goes!

Awesome! I updated but unfortunately I guess my flood light camera even though its listed as a battery cam camera in the details, is not exposed still. There is nothing I should need to do to get the extra camera/device added, correct? Still only my 3 old cameras are showing.

Not surprising though since you said all along the flood light cam wasnt on the api list. Was just kind of hoping.

Hi,
I checked today and the floodlight camera is listed as supported! Camera with Floodlight  |  Device Access  |  Google Developers – i also saw other users say they got it working previously though.

So, just to make sure: Can you delete the integration and re-add it and see if the cam shows up on the OAuth authorization page? You have to give permission to home assistant before it will show up.

1 Like

Oh yeah

My partner errors went away and now I can address my nest indoor camera.

But the only thing I’m getting off the live streaming camera. I can’t see any motion it person detection sensors.

See Nest - Home Assistant

There are some community posts about getting sensors from triggers/events if you need them, but device triggers are the preferred way to use motion events now.

Thanks Allen for following up on this. You are correct, I needed to give permission to the new camera. First I tried to delete the integration and re-add and sure enough the new camera needed to be enabled in the permissions but I was getting the URI mismatch at the end as I had setup when this integration was first released as a web based app. So I followed the steps in the docs to create a new desktop app and re-added it. Now the flood light camera is showing up in HA.

However, I’m having some issues with it which appear to be related to the change to WebRTC. The docs state: " Live image previews and the camera services like stream recording are not supported"

I guess this means I cant display it on my tablet dashboard like I do with my other cameras? That is the main purpose of adding it to HA so that is disappointing. If this is the case, is there any hope of it eventually being able to be displayed on the dashboard (currently its just a black rectangle). Even if it was like Ring where its just a snapshot of the last event, that would be better than nothing.

Also, what does Media source for triggers/events N/A mean? Is that the root cause of not being able to show the camera on the dash?

If this is how its going to be then personally I feel the new nest cameras are a huge downgrade over the old ones, at least in regards to HA. If the only thing possible is to manually open the camera and start the stream, that is not very useful unfortuntately. (Not complaining about HA/integration here, complaining about Nest’s choices here)

Thanks much.

Hi, yes the different cameras support very different capabilities and it’s getting more difficult to explain the nuance hence I made that table as an attempt.

The media player events are able to generate media snapshots for specific people, motion, etc events. This is not supported by the sdm apis for all camera types.

With regards to webrtc, home assistant does not natively support it so I’ve been working through it. First figuring out live streams at all, then starting to think about other features. I think it works pretty well for the battery camera where you don’t actually want to drain the batteries with live streams. I recently got my hands on a wired webrtc wired camera so I am going to start thinking about that too.

I would say yes, new devices with new technologies take work to get working together (this is just a hobby project). Hopefully the table will make it more clear for people who make purchasing decisions based on today’s home assistant support.

Thanks Allen, it sounds like there is hope of this getting supported then, I would imagine HA can eventually support WebRTC. My concern was that the limiting factor was what Nest changed on their end, so its good to hear that isnt the case.

I really appreciate your work on this integration, without you we would have nothing at all.

For battery cameras I guess the ideal scenario would be for it to show a clip of the last recording but it sounds like that isnt possible unless nest expands their sdm apis… For the plug in cameras hopefully eventually we will be able to have it displayed on the dash, that would be great, it works really well with the old cameras. One of the reasons I started switching from Ring to Nest is because Ring could never show real time live video on the dash but the nest can (nearly real time at least). For example when someone rings my front door bell I can glance at my HA tablet and see who is actually there. With ring it takes too long to eventually show so its not really helpful.

thanks again.

I did some testing today with a newer wired camera and found that if you use a Picture Glance lovelace card with live it will display the WebRTC stream inline which seems like it works very nicely.

That is really useful.
The only thing missing now is being able to use hass to take snapshots or record videos from the nest cameras :smiley:

I just added a Nest Cam Wired to my setup today. I have a doorbell cam that is already working with HA. I enabled the camera in the Partner Connections Manager, and it shows up as an entity, but when trying to access the live stream via a Picture Glance in the Lovelace UI, I get the following error:
Failed to connect WebRTC stream: Answer tried to set recv when offer did not set send

I’m running 2021.12.8, so I thought I should be able to view the livestream via a picture glance set to live. Any thoughts on why the livestream wouldn’t be viewable?

Are you using Firefox by chance? My impression is there is some incompatibility there, but Safari and Chrome work.

1 Like

That was it, thank you.

Hi Allen I am looking to livestream the next cameras via home assistant to youtube is this something that would be possible to do?

No idea. how do people typically stream cameras to YouTube? Can you do this at all with home assistant? Then it would be about how to make it work with WebRTC. Likely you’d need extra software or add-ons.

I got the lovelace to work with the instructions above, I suppose though that does not get us any closer to being able to call the camera snapshot service with it eh? Still seeing a black box with it. If anyone has come up with a work around please let me know.

Hi,
Nest - Home Assistant describes what is currently supported, which does not include recording or snapshots from the live stream at the moment. Home assistant currently only supports this for RTSP streams. Something like a Add-on may be able to support more complex webrtc features in the future, but haven’t explored this yet.

Thank you for the response Allen, I will have to bookmark the page and check back.

@justeric78

Have you tried adding

camera_view: live

to your picture-entity or picture-glance card? That pulls the live feed from my new Nest Floodlight Camera into the lovelace dashboard (no more black card)

1 Like

“I got the lovelace to work with the instructions above”

I have that, I was looking for camera functionality.