Problem with New Nest Cam

I have two nest indoor cameras at home. One older style which works with the nest app and one is the newer style that only works with Google home app.

I’ve ready a few threads online and while it seemed like there was issues originally with the new cameras, they should be working now.

I’ve successfully gone through the process of connecting using connecting o the SDM following the guide (thank you for writing) but can only see one of the two camera (the old one).

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thank you - new to HA and very impressed so far.

I only just got one of the new Nest Cam Indoor and tried to link it to HomeAssistant and I get the following error:

**No access to partner**

Information could not be retrieved. Please contact NestCameraHASS to verify that your account has been properly set up. You may need to add the developer email address as a home member in the Google Home app settings.

I have a feeling that this camera might not be fully supported by the api’s yet …

Did a bit of searching trough the APIs, and indeed it’s very confusing:
This page does not show the new nest cam indoor as supported:

This page also shows that only the battery and doorbell have been added to the API on sept 21st:

And this page show a picture of the IQ cam indoor, but the link sends me to the new nest indoor camera:

I guess we need to wait a bit and hope google adds support :frowning:

I also just got the new flood light camera without realizing it only works with the google home app and doesnt support HA. Really sucks. I am hoping when support is added we will be able to control the flood light and have the ability to disable it via HA. One thing that drove me nuts about my Ring flood lights is there was no way via HA to disable the flood light motion sensor, meaning its impossible to do scenes to allow hanging in the backyard without being blasted by security lights.

For the battery doorbell it took about one month to launch API support.
Let’s hope google takes a bit less now.

I’m also planning to get the floodlight but I decided to test with the indoor camera first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear they at least most likely plan to add it. i was a little nervous considering this is the first device I’ve bought that only works in the google home app. does the battery doorbell also only work in the home app?

I really wish they werent forcing us out of the nest app, its pretty nice and I like it much better for quickly checking cameras.

So far the flood light is really nice, its nicely made, really bright nice quality lights. The only negative compared to the ring floodlight it r eplaced is that it sticks out REALLY far. it sticks out like 3x as far, it would be that big of a deal but my round electrical box is surface mounted on the side of the house, not recessed into the house, so combining the light and the box it sticks out like a foot or more!

For me the best feature is finally it has a real person only alert mode. I have feral cats that live in my backyard and they were alwayss setting off t he ring even though it was in person only mode. it got to the point it was pointless because i was ignoring all the video alerts. Now with the nest AI it seems to really actually only go off for people, which is awesome.

Hi, the new nest cams will have better support in the next home assistant release. I got it working this week and merged into the code base so you can try it out on a nightly build, or wait for next release. It still has a couple rough edges since video works very differently in the new cameras, but don’t worry, it’ll get better. On a positive note, WebRTC in the new cameras is way faster.

2 Likes

Which cameras did you tested with?
The reason I’m asking is that the indoor and the floodlight cameras do not seem to have api support yet

**[quote=“allenporter, post:7, topic:346161, full:true”]
Hi, the new nest cams will have better support in the next home assistant release. I got it working this week and merged into the code base so you can try it out on a nightly build, or wait for next release. It still has a couple rough edges since video works very differently in the new cameras, but don’t worry, it’ll get better. On a positive note, WebRTC in the new cameras is way faster.
[/quote]

Frigan awesome, thanks!

Curious, any chance we will be able to control the flood light? Specifically looking for the ability to disable it completely so I can snooze it when relaxing in the back yard. Hoping google adds a snooze feature but if not, the ability to turn the motion activation on and off in HA would be awesome.

Oops give it another day, the frontend release needed updating. The info panel needs to have core and frontend versions of 2021.07.14 or higher.

Hi, I don’t see any light controls in the SDM API yet

what is interesting is that in google home its considered a completely different device (the floodlights). The light shows up as a device and the camera shows up as a device.

can you clarify what was added in the update? the new cameras ( floodlight cam) cant be added until Google adds them to their API, correct?

What was added is very basic support for streaming cameras that support WebRTC, which some come in the next home assistant release (or a nightly build if you’re into that).

You are correct that home assistant only supports what the SDM API exposes at the moment. I don’t have a flood light camera, so I don’ t know if or how the camera is exposed. (If it were exposed, i’m guesing it would just act like other cameras) and I don’t see anything about lights in the API.

Thank you for clarifying. I believe you are correct, the new floodlight camera is going to show the same as the other new camera, they break it into 2 components in the Home app and the camera looks identical to the other new one.

With the battery cams: they show up in home assistant now because they are returned from the API, just streams don’t work until next patch.

Sounds like the floodlight camera just isn’t exposed yet…

This page describes the supported devices Supported Devices  |  Device Access  |  Google Developers and what kind of stream, image, or event support exists. The floodlight cam is not listed there yet.

I was looking at the Home app and my Flood light camera when you go into the device info, is described as “Nest Cam (Battery)”. It seems its just a standard new nest cam battery model with the power wire attached.

OK great. The new cam support is in the beta home assistant and I have heard folks say that it shows up there – though technically it should show up in the existing version of home assistant as well (without stream support)

Nice, 2021.11 should be out soon so I will upgrade when its released and hopefully the camera will show up. Unfortunately its not showing now, hopefully that isnt a bad sign.