Problem with rtl_433 and HA


I am running HA on Rpi, HAOS, MQTT Mosquito broker.

I was able to connect rtl_433 to HA via MQTT but then I wanted to check the traffic in MQTT Explorer.
I have deleted rtl_433 client (topic) there. Seems this was a mistake. I was trying to restore it, downgraded Mosquito but it did not help. Looks like I cannot see any traffic from rtl_433…
In rtl_433 add-on, I can see it is connected to MQTT broker and rtl_433/MyTopic is published…

Is there any way I can check what is rtl_433 dongle receiving via Rpi? I do not know if I cannot see any traffic because there is none, or is sth wrong…

Thanks for all your hints…



The MQTT client in the rtl433 software will just recreate the topic, if you delete it, so most likely there is nothing to publish or rtl433 has crashed.

I have checked dongle on my laptop with SDR console and rtl_433. And I was able to receive messages. Moved the dongle back to Rpi, re-installed rtl_433 and stil nit receiving rtl_433/MyTopic in mqtt broker. In rtl_433 logs I can see successful connection to the broker and topic registration. But that’s all…

Green ?

Config rtl_433 MQTT Auto Discovery

INFO rtl_433 MQTT Auto Discovery




rtl_433 is green. Do not use autodiscovery, added sensors manually.

IT looks like my problem might be related to hardware.

In dmesg I can see:

dvb_usb_v2: ‘Realtek RTL2832U reference design:1-1.4’ successfully deinitialized and disconnected

I read somewhere this mightebe related to insufficient voltage, bought new power supply. Have to wait for it to test.

I also tried to blacklist rtl2832, did not help…

Any other ideas?

Hello again.

I have a new power supply now (4A, should be enough). I even added active USB hub, powered from another power supply. Unfortunately still no improvement.

When I have a look at dmesg, I can see the dongle being initialized:

[139608.154989] usb 1-1.4.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=2838, bcdDevice= 1.00
[139608.155013] usb 1-1.4.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[139608.155022] usb 1-1.4.4: Product: RTL2838UHIDIR
[139608.155029] usb 1-1.4.4: Manufacturer: Realtek
[139608.155036] usb 1-1.4.4: SerialNumber: 00000001
[139608.163828] usb 1-1.4.4: dvb_usb_v2: found a 'Realtek RTL2832U reference design' in warm state
[139608.333403] usb 1-1.4.4: dvb_usb_v2: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer
[139608.333478] dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (Realtek RTL2832U reference design)
[139608.333497] usb 1-1.4.4: media controller created
[139608.336366] dvbdev: dvb_create_media_entity: media entity 'dvb-demux' registered.
[139608.347067] i2c i2c-22: Added multiplexed i2c bus 23
[139608.347096] rtl2832 22-0010: Realtek RTL2832 successfully attached
[139608.347251] usb 1-1.4.4: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T))...
[139608.347291] dvbdev: dvb_create_media_entity: media entity 'Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T)' registered.
[139608.347666] r820t 23-003a: creating new instance
[139608.354727] r820t 23-003a: Rafael Micro r820t successfully identified
[139608.363703] rtl2832_sdr Registered as swradio0
[139608.363725] rtl2832_sdr Realtek RTL2832 SDR attached
[139608.363731] rtl2832_sdr SDR API is still slightly experimental and functionality changes may follow
[139608.371756] Registered IR keymap rc-empty
[139608.371947] rc rc0: Realtek RTL2832U reference design as /devices/platform/scb/fd500000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4.4/rc/rc0
[139608.372160] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver dvb_usb_rtl28xxu registered at minor = 0, raw IR receiver, no transmitter
[139608.372337] input: Realtek RTL2832U reference design as /devices/platform/scb/fd500000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4.4/rc/rc0/input1
[139608.372687] usb 1-1.4.4: dvb_usb_v2: schedule remote query interval to 200 msecs
[139608.381107] usb 1-1.4.4: dvb_usb_v2: 'Realtek RTL2832U reference design' successfully initialized and connected

but after some time:

[139886.390707] r820t 23-003a: destroying instance
[139886.419762] dvb_usb_v2: 'Realtek RTL2832U reference design:1-1.4.4' successfully deinitialized and disconnected

and I have no clue what else can I try…

Hoping for some ideas…