Problematic Sonoff Temperature Sensors

I’ve been putting Sonoff zigbee temp sensors (SNZB-02) all over my house. And seems that 1 out of 4 of them have problems. At first i thought i was just typical zigbee stuff but i’ve got lots of them that are working just fine and location doesn’t seem to matter.

It pairs just fine and if it stays close to the primary controller/hub it works. As soon as i move it to locations where other SNZB-02 sensors are located it goes offline. Then i have to remove the device and add it back to the zigbee network and HA.

These are cheap so do i just throw them out and move on or is there something going on others have come across? These devices are small, cheap, and when they work they work great…

These, less then €5, and takes an AAA battery

Those SNZB-02 are a PIA indeed!

I reflashed mine with the custom SNZB-02_EFEKTA firmware. No falling outs of the Zigbee network anymore, much more reliable and some added functionalities (sensors) as an extra bonus.

The downside is there is some soldering involved. Furthermore you will need either an ESP8266 development board (a NodeMCU is best) or a CCDebugger and obviously some Dupont/jumper wires .

If you follow Blakadder’s guide please note that the link to the EFEKTA firmware from GitHub is wrong. That link downloads the original “sonoff.hex” file (ITEAD). As for the EFEKTA firmware you will need to download SNZB-02_EFEKTA.hex, rename it to “sonoff.hex” and continue to follow the guide.

If you prefer to use a CCDebugger to reflash your SNZB-02’s you can follow the custom firmware author’s guide HERE.

Wow this device is so glitchy someone wrote custom firmware for it! I can easily do esp chip programming so will check this out. Somfy tech support actually wrote me back today…