Problems by setting up Alexa with the "Smart Home Skill"

Hello all

I had setup Alexa to work with Home Asisstant like 3 years ago. I had used HAASKA for this setup (folowing this guide) which was a pain in the bottom to setup. But it eventually worked verry well for years until a few months ago.

My AWS account seemed to be compromised and was charging over €250 already (amount kept increasing). It was just a few days before my world trip for about a few months to South America. I couldn’t find a way to stop it increasing, Amazon didn’t seemed to be verry helpfull there, I didn’t had the time for it because of my vacation preparations and it was stressing me out that the ammount kept increasing without being able to stop it. So I’ve stopped and deleted my AWS account, not willing to end up with a few thousand euro bill.

Now I’m back I’m trying to dig in to get my Echo Dot’s working with my HASS configuration again. First I was looking for an alternative, by not using AWS annymore (other topic).

But I guess the “Smart Home Skill” will be the best option right now to keep all the functionalities and configuration as close as I was used to (without using Nabu Casa). Although I know that I need to use AWS again here.

I’m not really familiar with AWS and the console. So I need to follow the manuals I could find. Probably I’ve missed something or doing something wrong here. But I’m not able to get it working wih this guide.

accounts:

• I’m using the developer console on the same account as my Alexa account.
  • I had to make a new account for AWS (with another mail adres)

Settings:

• I’ve used the LONG_LIVED_ACCESS_TOKEN for testing the LAMBDA function
    the manual says that you should recieve a list of connected devices, which I don’t see. But I’m using an HASS configuration on scratch here without added devices. Only added the PnP devices found on the network here, such as router and printer. But the test outcome returns GREEN and POSITIVE.
  • I’ve forwarded my HASS configuration via duckDNS, an it’s accesable by https://[mydns].duckdns.org:8123
  • When following the Account linking step: I can see the created Smart-Home custom skill in my Alexa skill page on the Alexa account where all my Echo Dot’s are registered. And when I click on it it brings me to Home Assistant login screen. So far everthing seems (to me) working and communicating with each other (also the different AWS and console accounts).
    But when I try to log in I get the following error:

To me (but I’m clearly not a pro here) everthing seems to work so far. Until I try to login in the final step of the account linking.

Annyone probably has anny idea what the problem (or hopefully, the sollution) could be?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Not a solution, but an Alternative - I created an AddOn to help simplify the AWS account setup parts of HAASKA. It uses a different auth mechanism that might work for you.

Let me know if you run into issues with it as its not very widely used at this point.

1 Like

Thanks for the alternative! Apreciate it! :slight_smile:

I’ve managed to configure Haaska the manual way again. Instructions are verry outdated. But it’s possible to get it running again.

Good thing is that I didn’t had problems or need to configure port 433 with Haaska. With the “Smart Home Skill” I needed to forward port 433 to 8123 to get it working. But that caused problems with other hardware on my network.