Problems getting started with frontend development

I want to contribute something to the HA frontend. Specifically improve the History page. So I looked at the frontend development docs https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/frontend/development and set everything up which worked well until I wanted to start a server which let’s me look at my changes.

I thought I understood that running script/develop would start such a server but running this for me just ends in

[12:01:47] Starting 'webpack-watch-app'...
(node:41291) [DEP_WEBPACK_COMPILATION_NORMAL_MODULE_LOADER_HOOK] DeprecationWarning: Compilation.hooks.normalModuleLoader was moved to NormalModule.getCompilationHooks(compilation).loader
(node:41291) [DEP_WEBPACK_DEPRECATION_ARRAY_TO_SET] DeprecationWarning: Compilation.chunks was changed from Array to Set (using Array method 'reduce' is deprecated)
(node:41291) [DEP_WEBPACK_COMPILATION_ASSETS] DeprecationWarning: Compilation.assets will be frozen in future, all modifications are deprecated.
BREAKING CHANGE: No more changes should happen to Compilation.assets after sealing the Compilation.
	Do changes to assets earlier, e. g. in Compilation.hooks.processAssets.
	Make sure to select an appropriate stage from Compilation.PROCESS_ASSETS_STAGE_*.
[12:02:43] Build done @ 12:02:43 PM

and no server is started.
Running node_modules/.bin/gulp develop-demo successfully starts the demo server but this one doesn’t have a history page.

I’m not sure if this is a bug in the script or if there is something missing in the documentation, which is why I’m asking here.

Also: Is there a way to connect the frontend to an already running backend on a different server?

Thanks for any help.