Problems Reaching Components with Docker on Windows 10

I am having problems with accessing components in Home Assistent when it is installed using Docker on Windows 10.

I used a docker-composer yaml file with network_mode set to host, furthermore I added some firewall rules and now I am able to access Home Assistant on port 8123 from the network.

Great so far, however once I manually added a Yeelight, Tradfri Bridge and Sonos Speaker (based on their static IP) it can not access them.

I suppose the docker image somehow does not have access to the rest of the network to reach the components, however I thought the network_mode host should take care of this?

Any ideas?

Hello, did you find any solution ?

Some components rely on UPNP which is a multicast/broadcast. Since only one app can respond to UPNP, windows brokers that communication via the SSDP service and Windows apps are expected to hook into the broker to receive those, which won’t happen in docker etc.

So try disabling the SSDP Discovery service, just be aware that may make other native windows apps on the host not work with UPNP.

As far as I know Windows is the least preferred option to run Home Assistant as you will need to open certain ports and/or use reverse proxies to achieve certain things (srry I don’t know exactly which services need that, but I know of one which will not work out of the box with Windows and that is the Tradfri Hub, I tried it on Windows when I first started Home Assistant and they recommended me to go the Linux route and tbh I am glad I did).

I don’t have the solution unfortunately, but I highly recommend you to use a linux/rasbian distro instead. As it is Python based (which never plays really well with Windows).

I don’t want to disencourage you in using Home Assistant, I just want to give you an honest advice. Install it on linux (can be docker or venv whatever you prefer). It will save you a lot of headaches.