Problems with ZHA after Restore (Conbee2)

Hey everyone,

after searching and trying out stuff for a couple of hours, I’m trying to reach out to you guys to get an idea on how to fix my problem.

Quick describtion of my situation:

• Micro SD card died
  • upgraded to m2 ssd (Argon One m2 Case)
  • Reinstalled Homeassistant and Restored a Core Backup
  • Struggling to get the ZHA Integration back running with all my devices set up using a CONBEE 2 DeconZ stick

Hardware:

• RPi 4 4GB
  • Samsung Evo 860 m2 250GB
  • Argon One m2 Case
  • Conbee 2 DeconZ by dresden electronics

Before the crash I just went to Settings > Devices & Services > Add Integration > Add Zigbee-Device for adding a new zigbee device (mostly aqara), which worked pretty fine. Now after the crash I installed the deconz addon, connected the stick by the webinterface with homeassistant, chose the right device (/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2151834-if00) aswell, but the integration fails to load.
The Stick is connected to USB 2.0

QUESTION:
Is it worth trying to fix this problem or is this method in general not the best one and it’s better to use the deconz integration to add zigbee devices?

Thanks ALOT for your help!

Log:

2023-02-24 01:32:09.575 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 1 of 3)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 174, in async_initialize
2023-02-24 01:32:14.824 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 2 of 3)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 174, in async_initialize
2023-02-24 01:32:19.853 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 3 of 3)
2023-02-24 01:32:19.858 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry ConBee II for zha
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 111, in async_setup_entry
await zha_gateway.async_initialize()
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 189, in async_initialize

My Conbee on an argon one (with an M.2 SSD in the argon enclosure) will NOT find anything unless it is on an extension cord.

I have mine on a small powered usb2 hub.

Even then it’s very VERY picky about orientation and things if i move it too far in a certain direction I lose connection on the entire zigbee network until I put it back…

Hey Nathan,

my Conbee just worked fine before the crash, used it always without a extension cable. Yes, I noticed some disconnections but they never last long. I guess I will have to go the hard way, removing the stick, rebooting, deleting the zha integration, turn off, plug the conbee back in and power back on to add the “new device” and configurate every zigbee device from scratch… Just got a little over 20, lights excluded cause they run with hue. I just need to setup every device with the same entity name like before, or I can redo my Dashboards aswell.

But you have one key diffence in your config now. That SSD. Known source of interference for Zigbee antennas…

Id really try the extension before blowing it away.

1 Like

Okay, I’ve ripped an usb 2.0 extension I used for an led strip and tried your advice… At first, nothing changed. After rebooting HA, nothing changed. Rebooting the System… nothing changed… reloading the integration again

EDIT:
back in business…

2023-02-24 11:38:59.108 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 1 of 3)
2023-02-24 11:39:04.283 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 2 of 3)
2023-02-24 11:39:09.299 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 3 of 3)
2023-02-24 11:39:09.303 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry ConBee II for zha
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 111, in async_setup_entry
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 189, in async_initialize
2023-02-24 11:40:36.908 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 1 of 3)
2023-02-24 11:40:41.930 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 2 of 3)
2023-02-24 11:40:47.482 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 3 of 3)
2023-02-24 11:40:47.487 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry ConBee II for zha

and now it’s working again… okay I wont touch it anymore and see how long it goes

Why are you trying to use both the deconz addon and zha?

It should be one or the other, not both.

My first guess is the addon is grabbing the port and not allowing zha to work.

1 Like

uhm… I thought I needed the addon so HA can recognize the stick. I’ve read that I shouldn’t have installed both integrations at once (ZHA & deconz). Would deactivating the addon be enough for the beginning?

But yes, I must admit, that could explain why it works just sometimes after I restarted the system - Addons are racing to be the first

I’d probably remove the deconz add-on or disable auto start and reboot.

I did that and until now it’s working pretty well. Just the common issues… sometimes automatisations are getting triggered by a hue motion sensor, but it fails turning the hue bulb on. Or sometimes it fails turning the hue bulb off after 30 seconds. Guess it would work better if you have the hue bulbs connected via zha aswell.